Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,567   Online: 1198

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try making small proofs (4x6 or 5x7) from a full roll of film, then pin them up around the house where you might see them during your normal day.

But don't pin them up right way up. Have them upside down, or on an edge. That way if they catch your eye as you pass, you are not seeing a subject that you took a photograph of, you are seeing objects that are collections of line and tones. This might inspire you to print from some of the frames in a different way, picking on details, or abstracts. This in turn may inspire you to look at the same old fodder in a different way, sparking your desire to shoot again.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Forget the photography, give up thinking about what you "think" you should shoot.

Then go do something you want to do, visit places, events or whatever, maybe don't take a camera, then you'll suddenly find that something will inspire you to shoot images again and give them a purpose.

Ian

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I see so many great pictures when I haven't got a camera with me!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    come up with some sort of "project"
    you might find a little more purpose ....
    and even then, you might find yourself in a rut ...

i've been in a rut for 15+ years

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also have been in a similar vein of thought; decided to go back to basics and pulled out my old 6x9 folder and visit a place out of town. Just shot for the sake of shooting.

Maybe set yourself a project - something that will take some effort to research and put together and give yourself a timeframe to shoot. I'm currently still shooting a "lamp post" series - all old style or "quirky" and all in b&w.

On a visit to the EU I shot post boxes - the official versions, not private mailboxes.
    Tried a fire hydrant series - but that got really hard when I moved back home to AU - they aren't as interesting as the ones in the US and all look the same.

I'm also trying to find a way to shoot old car hood ornaments - *very* rare here in TH, but when I go back to AU for a visit, will attempt to get it to coincide with an old car rally.

Have a couple of shots of scripts from Porsche on my site - another little project I set myself that continues today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aste View Post
    I have a brand new roll of film loaded in the FM2. It's been sitting at frame 1 for a couple weeks now. It wasn't long ago that I had a backlog of film to develop. Now, I have to burn a roll of 120 (because it's only 10 frames) just so I have something to develop. Nothing gets printed. Nothing's worth printing. The 35mm just sits. It goes with me everywhere, but it sits.

I'm absolutely bored. Not with photography. Definitely not with film. I love the process. I'm bored with the subject matter.

I look at the photos I've made so far and they are getting pretty good technically. The compositions aren't even all that bad, either. But, I look at them and think, "so what? What's the point of this photograph?"

They don't say anything to me. And, I look around everyday and all I see is fodder for the same crap that doesn't speak. So, the FM2 sits in my bag, on frame 1, waiting for me to find some sort of inspiration.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this. I think I just need someone to tell me this is normal, and maybe give some suggestions on working through it.
    Dont worry about being in a funk. Leave the high tech gadget on the shelf, and stay out of the DR. Go out and be a tourist for a while, and just enjoy the time without any self-induced pressure. Next, find a cheap P&S camera, and just shoot snaps of nonsense,dont think about what you shoot, only shoot for the fun of a moment. Let the 1-hour lab process them for you. Set the prints out everywhere throughout the house, and just ignore them. At this point, human nature takes over, and you look them over, and start to "see" what they are all about, and you may be excited to grab the do-it-all off the shelf, and be motivated to play with it instead of thinking you have to "create art" every time you pick it up.
    Its alright to not want to pick up your camera(s), mine sit for extended periods, when something strikes my fancy, a-shooting I go. Stop "forcing" yourself, and just enjoy life.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all for the very encouraging replies. I'll be taking your suggestions to heart.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I go through periods like that. Just takes time to get out of that funk.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We're supposed to feel inspired?
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just came out of a creative slump, and like you I got gazillions of advice of how to get out of it. One of them was 'just do it'. So I forced myself to bring four rolls of film to the local conservatory and just photograph plants the way I see them, in black and white. When I got back home I immediately forced myself to process one or two rolls of it and look at them, scan them, organize them. If I had had a darkroom up and running, I would have contact printed them and potentially printed a couple.
    The idea here was to do something I hadn't done before, and force myself to explore the camera and what's in front of it again. I shot nearly everything wide open.
    I'm still working those negatives, six months later. It will come back to you.

It also helps to leave the camera behind a little, go do something else that doesn't involve photography. Sooner than you think, you will see something that you want to shoot and you're off on your merry way again.

I hope that helps.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin