Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,522   Posts: 1,572,250   Online: 786

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK Nick - in the interests of science we now need to work out what piece of kit you own that is as valuable to you as a gonad. I will start working on the details of the experiment
    I am sure I have a cricket ball around here somewhere...

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Neat.
    You fell like a cat. A cat will always land on all 4 legs.
    Ah but if you drop a piece of buttered toast it always lands butter side down. So what happens if you strap a piece of buttered toast to the back of a cat and toss it out the window? Which up does it land?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tlitody View Post
    Ah but if you drop a piece of buttered toast it always lands butter side down. So what happens if you strap a piece of buttered toast to the back of a cat and toss it out the window? Which up does it land?
    Not that again--we covered that in another thread.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ahhh, the joys of the net - somehow we're now talking about strapping toast to cats and experimenting with gonads
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh Lord, here we go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nick, the Mamiya comment got me thinking about an experience I had in the Valley of Fire State Park in NV. I had my Mamiya on a tripod in my left hand with the tripod extended and under my left arm. I was walking on the side of the road and went off and there was a steep deep ditch and I started down, I picked up speed so reflexes in full action I started to speed up to out run the momentum. I ended up making a flat sliding landing with my left arm stretched out and up to keep the camera from doing a face skid. I tore my knees out and my right palm, elbow and arm had road burn. What a mess, I was alone and got back to the rental car and cleaned up with a paper napkin and half a bottle of water. I was bleeding all the way back to Las Vegas were my wife was at a medical convention. She took one look at me and said what a klutz. Reflexes saved the camera though.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    So I'm sensing an obvious theme that I'm not alone in my experience - are cameras and other items of worth serving as proxy babies here ? At least in the part of the brain that deals with this ?

I do note that one member here managed to throw his 'baby' into a river however - very biblical :rolleyes:
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder View Post
    So I'm sensing an obvious theme that I'm not alone in my experience - are cameras and other items of worth serving as proxy babies here ? At least in the part of the brain that deals with this ?

I do note that one member here managed to throw his 'baby' into a river however - very biblical :rolleyes:
    LOL I would've saved if I could but that water was deep and COLD! That's what I get for using a 50 year old original leather strap. I'm willing to take a few bruises for my gear.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder View Post

I've had similar experiences, for example, falling some way down a 1000 foot clif/hill, (only went 10 feet down, still scary as all get out), (although was only carrying a little rebel, (digital (was out of film) ) I still managed to make sure my camera didn't get a scratch on it, (almost lost my hat, a stetson)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure if it's the same principle but "back in the day", when I was a fit and agile young man, I was walking up Striding Edge on the way to the top of a mountain called Helvellyn (in the English Lake District). I stopped briefly to take a photo but, realising I had my 135mm lens on the front of my OM2n - when I wanted something more wide angle - I started to change lenses. Bad move.

As it was very cold (it usually is in winter at 2,300 ft + above sea level) I'd lost a fair bit of the feeling in my hands and promptly dropped both lenses mid-manoevre. Both lenses bounced merrily down the mountain. With zero thought for the possible consequences, off I went after them. Only after getting a bout 50 feet down the VERY steep drop did I remember the story of Robert Dixon who, in the mid-1800's disappeared and was found at the foot of striding edge being watched over by his faithful hound.

As it happens, I don't have a very good head for heights but the point is this - I was more than prepared to risk life and limb for the sake of a couple of easily replaceable lenses. Was this act of abject stupidity related to my junior years or would I do it again today. Hopefully, I won't ever have to find out.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin