Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,861   Online: 780

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Cameras, scraped knees and unconscious determination of value

I'll start this discussion by telling of the event that led to me thinking about it...

Last night I tripped and fell over on the street - long day at work, two beers, rushing and wearing steel capped boots I'm not so used to :rolleyes: - I cut open my right knee through a nice big hole in my jeans and almost the same on my right elbow. Anyways, nearer to the point, I was carrying some AKG headphones that cost me a fair amount in my left hand at the time, they came out completely unscathed. It occurred to me that I had purposefully fallen in such a way that I protected the headphones completely - but this was done unconsciously, I had zero time to think about it - what I had done was transfer the destructive force from the headphones clearly into my body instead.

I get the feeling that if I were carrying an apple or a bit of rubbish they would have been dropped and I would have landed on both hands with my arms to cushion the fall, not so much, if any loss of blood

So, what part of my brain and at what time was programmed with the bit that said 'don't fall on this item' - when I bought it ? when I started to fall ? ... What value of item crosses the line ? Does our unconscious mind ever stuff it up ? And what are your thoughts on having your body, this is you, you know the most precious and unique thing you own literally take the fall for some easily replaced object ? Do we do a little utilitarian math here and figure out that the amount of work done in obtaining the cash equates to the same 'badness' to your body as the fall ?

My AKG headphones could have been a Mamiya, Sinar, antique Dallmeyer lens, water bottle, balloon, baby, whatever ...

Would I have fallen on a Holga ? (at the old prices ? or the new astronomical ones)

Funny ol' thing the brain huh - things going on on in there behind the scenes

No real issue to solve here - just shooting the breeze
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neat.
    You fell like a cat. A cat will always land on all 4 legs.

And that's better luck than I've had.

Last time I had a serious fall was in 2001 running Imuch as one should not!) on a low-tide rock platform when suddenly I was upended and crashed on my back, then down came tripod and camera with a God-almighty wallop on top of me (neither damaged!). Ghastly struggle for breath and writhing in terrible pain. Sent yelping dog away to "get help!", but instead, after a long delay, he came back with his tennis ball. Eventually rescued. Spent 4 days in local hospital for X-Rays and recovery, finding bruised scapula and sprained neck. Never ever have picked up pace on slippery coastal rock platforms since then. I probably wouldn't ever set foot on one now.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Neat.
    I was upended and crashed on my back, then down came tripod and camera with a God-almighty wallop on top of me (neither damaged!).
    heh heh, do you think it's possible you ended up the way you did to save the camera ?

Shooter
    35mm
    I learned in biology that the nerves that control reflexes such as protecting yourself when falling don't even pass through the brain.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder View Post
    what I had done was transfer the destructive force from the headphones clearly into my body instead.
    Because your body can mend itself, the headphones can't.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funkpilz View Post
    I learned in biology that the nerves that control reflexes such as protecting yourself when falling don't even pass through the brain.
    But I didn't protect myself, I protected my headphones - that's the odd part

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Because your body can mend itself, the headphones can't.
    True - but not say if I lost an eye, got a lingering pain in my so and so or I guess, died :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funkpilz View Post
    I think this is a "it depends". I have fallen with my camera and thought about how to cradle it to protect it. Probably the rest of the fall action was reflective though. Same with a couple of bicycle crashes - thinking about where to put my hands and which way to roll. Sometimes the brain is amazingly fast. Wish it had been that fast during my college exams.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got taken down at a college football game and my folks watched on TV at home in another state. I was on the sidelines with my F4s and 300mm lens, and the game action went out of bounds for a moment. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I got knocked backwards hard and held my camera up in the air while I landed on my back on the grass. I was fine and the camera was of course fine (I lifted it high right before I got hit). It was apparently a sight to watch on TV.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Having worked in a wilderness area packing mules, building trails, fighting forest fires and all that for 12 summers, I have had many chances to observe my reflexes in action, including spinning in mid-air to grab a ledge to keep from falling off a cliff and jumping over a log rolling towards me (not totally successfully). If I had to actually think through a plan of action, I would be dead or maimed by now.

I think that carrying expensive (or just important) equipment over a long period of time, what one is holding becomes part of one's body in some strange way -- something to protect. So one's body is willing to sacrafice relatively unimportant body parts (knees, elbows) in order to protect what is truly important -- heads, gonads, cameras, babies, whatever.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reflexes are a wonderful thing. Having slipped on scree near Devil's Elbow along the Merced River in Yosemite I was able to turn quickly and grab a tree branch to keep from falling in. My Exakta wasn't so lucky. The strap broke and off it went never to be seen again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin