Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,904   Posts: 1,555,836   Online: 778

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I range from 20mm to 300mm in 135.
    I range from 38mm to 500mm in MF [6x6]

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a tendency to use short teles for landscape work on all my cameras, so the 210 for your (Mamiya RB?) sounds like a very useful lens to have. Great for portraits too! I use 85 and 100mm in 35mm quite a bit, and a 150mm on the Hasselblad very often.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to be a wide angle person, but I've gotten to where I like to be very selective in my framing. Hence, a 150 is my favorite lens for my 6x6, and a 210 is what I mostly use in 4x5, including landscapes.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I know that for myself I gravitate to wanting to buy longer lenses when my subject matter demands it. A recent rodeo shoot showed the shortcomings of my 90mm and whenever I'm out in AZ my lens could just about never be long enough. Living in suburbia tho and shooting locally at events or downtown demands the wider focal lengths. I think in some way we may want longer lenses because we want more open spaces to shoot in. Just a thought.
    W.A. Crider

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I specifically avoid telephotos of any sort. Whenever I'm looking for a lens for a specific format I'm almost always trying to base it on what lens would fall within a 15-40mm 35mm equivalent focal length. However, these days I don't really buy lenses on an often basis.

I find telephoto compression to be advantageous, scene-wise, in maybe 1% of actual photos. The other 99% ends up resulting in over-compressed flat lifeless scrap. Can barely stand 'em.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't know, telephoto is not for me.

I range from 21 to 100 mm in 35 mm terms, with 35 mm being my central focal length. The thing I enjoy most about my FD 100/2.8 is that it looks just like a normal lens, not like a tele. My 200/4 hardly gets any use...
    Photon Counter

Shooter
    35mm
    I go from 20mm to 135mm shooting 35mm format, and that's about it.
    But mostly, whether it's people or landscape, 50mm and 35mm do so well that I really feel I don't need other lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's part of the human condition. Your rational mind always battles with your emotions of what you want, but not necessarily what you need. If a longer lens is not that expensive and you could afford it, get it. I remember when I started to build my MF and 35mm camera kits and I wanted to cover wide angle shots through telephoto shot. I use mostly my wide angle and normal perspective lenses. The telephoto lenses are for the most part, white elephants. I don't see in the telephoto perspective for the most part. The long lenses are occasionally useful for me. If you have a buddy that has a lens, try borrowing it or if there's a rental outlet, rent it as you need it of money is tight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use short telephotos regularly.

85mm for 135 film, and 135mm on my Mamiya TLRs.

The moderate telephoto compression appeals to me.

The longest lens I have is a 70 - 200mm zoom in OM mount, that I almost never use. The 70 - 150 zoom gets more use.

My 210mm for 645 is underused, but it isn't the lens' fault .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I once bought a 300mm lens, nice to look through, but it didn't get used much and it was heavy. All the girls I knew back then would make these phallic compensation jokes; so I sold it and got into fisheyes: "look, my new lens is only 16mm long"!
    Steve.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin