Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,052   Online: 1119

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A hobbyist looks for sharpness
    A pro looks for assignments
    An artist looks for light

-m-
    We cannot change how the cards are dealt, just how to play the hand...
    Randy Pausch

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Leest View Post
    A hobbyist looks for sharpness
    ...or bokeh (or however it is spelled)

It was when I realized that I was looking for light that I started to realize that photography was a passion and that art was what I was immersed in.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hobbyist but more want to learn to appreciate ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    The implication that I don't like about 'hobbyist' is that you aren't serious about your work, the quality of it, artistic elements, etc.
    The way I see the distinction is in terms of audience : the hobbyist having only himself as his audience, doing what pleases him, and the artist having other people as his audience, to please or intrigue them.
    Alex

Shooter
    35mm
    This could become a really interesting discussion; I like hearing about what motivates and drives others.

When people ask me what I do this for, I normally explain that I can't draw and photography started as a way to get out some artistic urges that couldn't be expressed via other routes. Now that sounds like I should be an 'artist' but I've never sold a print and have absolutely no interest in going down any commercial or artistic routes where I sell my work (my audience extends no further than family, friends and people on my postcard list). So maybe I'm a hobbyist, but I have no interest in gear in itself. Maybe, then, I can say I'm a hobbyist that makes 'art', hope that doesn't sound vain.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm a hobbyist, I have been for more than fifty years, I don't believe photography is an art but a craft, and I abhor the "self styled" photographic artists.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I'm a hobbyist, I have been for more than fifty years, I don't believe photography is an art but a craft, and I abhor the "self styled" photographic artists.
    Perhaps photography is nothing more than the exercise of craftmanship for you, but I use the craft that I have developed in an attempt to express myself through art. I like what Bayles and Orland wrote in Art and Fear that "art is the visible edge of craft."

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My answer when asked is, I don't have hobbies, I have obsessions. Photography for me is an obsession, the whole ensalada. Cameras, film, darkroom, everything about it. Artist? The hell if I know. I'll leave that to someone else to figure out. Serious best describes it for me. Yeah, obsessed and serious or hobby or artist. I'd go for the obsessed and serious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    Perhaps photography is nothing more than the exercise of craftmanship for you, but I use the craft that I have developed in an attempt to express myself through art. I like what Bayles and Orland wrote in Art and Fear that "art is the visible edge of craft."
    My point is Dan that it's not you the individual to call yourself an "Artist " but what the rest of the World considers you.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMHO - photography is the medium, craftsmanship is when you do it well. Art is when you are expressive. For years I strived to be a good craftsman - everything sharp, clean, good contrast, fine grain, all the 'good stuff'. Now I find that developing that craftsmanship allows me to better express myself. When I want to create a photo I can control all those mechanical things to achieve my vision. That's when it crosses over from craftsmanship to art.
    As I say, just IMHO.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin