Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,918   Online: 1177

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I always shoot what has a meaning to me, it's usually pre calculated images that appeal me. I believe in photography as a medium of expression that suit me better than words. And lately when I get asked about "so what do you do?" and I answer "I'm a photographer", I feel like this is not the right answer for me. I'm sometimes afraid to say "I'm an artist and use photography to express how i feel". Hopefully I will be soon more self confident and satisfied with my personal body of work so that I will be able to to say it later on : )

JDP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would say I am 'part artist'. I have an artistic side, but my training and profession is scientific. What interests me in photography is that it satisfies both areas. It melds art and science into one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    IMHO - photography is the medium, craftsmanship is when you do it well. Art is when you are expressive. For years I strived to be a good craftsman - everything sharp, clean, good contrast, fine grain, all the 'good stuff'. Now I find that developing that craftsmanship allows me to better express myself. When I want to create a photo I can control all those mechanical things to achieve my vision. That's when it crosses over from craftsmanship to art.
    As I say, just IMHO.
    Bruce it is the same as learning paint and brush, craft and technique are where they all start. Seeing the light, it allows you to better express your vision.

Photography is something I do for the joy of it. It is how the creative in me manifests. I have never considered it a hobby as I am not really sure what a hobby is. Am I an artist? I do not claim that label either, I am not sure why but it has never been one I have considered for myself. I love making photographs, I equally love learning new techniques and processes to better express the way I see.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To me it can be art, or hobby.... I'd like to be able to do both, but realize that I shouldn't quit my day job to be the artist as I'd be broke! For me the whole point of taking pictures is to share a visual experience that you had, and the emotions it gave you, and convey them through the print or whatever medium in a way that moves you for others to share. It's a creative outlet and the urge to create something tangible. Some are compelled to capture slices of time, others light, others sharpness, and others the process is the reason they do it. it's all relative to an 'emotion', 'experience', 'event', 'passion', or 'composition'. Some get paid for it, some don't, some don't care.

Do what's true to your vision, and you will be successful regardless of whether hobby, or artist is your goal. Trying to make a living off of it is different kettle of fish and pure hobby and artistry alone won't take you through the business relationships that need to be a major part of taking your work to the next level for exposure, selling, notoriety etc.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I start by calling myself a photographer. The appellation artist is bestowed upon you by others. In truth, I am an amateur, one who pursues because of affection for the medium and a desire to tell a story about what I see in my life.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I lean toward being a hobbyist.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i am a Photographer, not an artist. as for the hobbyist/professional part i guess i call my self semi-professional because about half of my income is from paid assignments yet that 1/2 of income is not enough to support myself with. hence me being a college student.

the majority of art prof. ive met look down upon photography so why should i want to be part of their circle. they mock it and say "oh you just press a button" so i do not consider myself an artist.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I hesitate to call myself an artist mainly because my subject matter is usually created by someone else or by natural forces. However, sometimes the resulting picture can be very artistic.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 06-16-2010 at 09:00 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Forgot how to spell my own name.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I prefer calling it my avocation... it's rather more serious than a hobby, which for me is cooking. I like to cook... dabble in the kitchen a bit, but I'm altogether more serious about photography. And yes, I consider myself an artist. Took a long while to feel comfortable with that thought, but I do, now.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am purely a hobbyist, have been for years. Somewhat a collector also, some would say.

I enjoy using old technology. That doesn't mean I don't use higher tech also, but my interests lie in backpacking, history, alternative building methods, homesteading, etc.

I guess my fascination with film cameras, particularly older, more manual cameras fits in with my overall lifestyle. I enjoy using older methods, and keeping the skills alive. I am just now starting my journey into large format. I don't pretend to be extremely talented (I wish I was), but I enjoy the feel and process of photography, and learning some of the theory to put into practice.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin