Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,249   Online: 987

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The only problem with this approach, the intruder could be a fat old balding guy, like me, now that is something you don't want to see.
    I like your response though.

Gary

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    Actually in New Zealand, people seem pretty polite generally as well.
    That's why New Zealand is one of the countries to which I'll consider emigrating when the time comes.

Polite people = probably not a fascist police state.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The strangest encounters I've had to date was in the Adirondack mountains while I was photographing a small lake in one of the state parks. I was stopped by a game warden and questioned if I might be fishing out of season. I guess a Yashica TLR on a tripod does look somewhat like a fishing pole. After this encounter I moved along the lake shore to take more pictures where I encountered a person fishing, who questioned me as to what I was doing. When I told him his reply was ," don't be taking my picture." My response to him was that I charge when I take pictures of people. About ten minutes later the game warden showed up and handed him a ticket for fishing out of season. Supposed I could have told him the game cop was in the area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs003
    ..." don't be taking my picture." My response to him was that I charge when I take pictures of people......
    Ha ha - nice one. Didn't see any moose?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary892
    The only problem with this approach, the intruder could be a fat old balding guy, like me, now that is something you don't want to see.
    - nothing wrong with that.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hehe - very timely - there's an ad just starting to be shown on UK TV for the new Canon 300D/D*g*tal Rebel, where a crowd of hundreds in New York all stand back out of the way in awe as a young photographer takes a street snap with his smart, new d*g*tal camera. This is why we are getting the wrong reaction on the street - we don't have the right gear!

Images
    My experiences so far have been good. I'm yet to take a LF camera out on the streets, but with my Kiev 88, I tend to get two kinds of reactions (apart from being ignored): curious looks when handholding, and people stopping so as not to walk into the shot when I set up the tripod and everything. The Kiev is not that big, but I guess to the average passerby it does make me look like I know what I'm doing, and that I'm supposed to be doing it

One thing I've wanted to do lately was park the car on the side of a busy road, set up the tripod with the Kiev in front of it, and see how long it will take before the traffic programme on the radio announces a new speed radar

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    First get a very el Cheap o camera, Like any new Minolta entry level, under $200 these days. Look stupid, do not carry bag, and shoot away at ANYTHING you might see-including people. Street shooting is a great pleasure. I have been threatened a few time for shooting Bikinis at Daytona Beach Florida. I apologize and move on. If confronted nicely I will be courteous to them-otherwise I keep going and continue to look like a beginner. Except for my graying hair I still look likwe a beginner...(lol)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My experiences have also been good so far. The only time I seem to get asked any questions is when I'm shooting at markets and people are worried that I might be working for the tax office lol

Happily I also get published by one of the local newspapers, so as soon as I say weather I'm shooting for the paper or my own collection that's the end of any possible objections.

With the only person who did strongly object, I pointed out the law and said that if she objected then she could complain to the paper but as I freelance I doubt that they would care, plus as she was at a demonstration she was more likely to see herself on the regional TV news and that a picture in the local paper was nothing in comparison.

By being approached I've made several good friends and also picked up some commissions for portraits and weddings.

Shooter
    Large Format
    As reported in the Seattle Times the student/photographer was racially profiled. So maybe the people reporting no problem with taking pictures in US happen to be white. Just a thought.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    My experiences have also been good so far. The only time I seem to get asked any questions is when I'm shooting at markets and people are worried that I might be working for the tax office lol
    That reminds me of an instance a few years ago when we where shooting on a sidewalk with a big DV camera on a tri-pod. Landlord of a build across that street came out and asked what we where doing, and we told him. Then he say "Ok, its just that these people fixing up my building aren't OSHA certified."

I should have told him a little picture of Ben Franklin will make sure nobdy ever finds out.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin