Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,230   Online: 1038

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    As reported in the Seattle Times the student/photographer was racially profiled. So maybe the people reporting no problem with taking pictures in US happen to be white. Just a thought.
    Last time I checked i was still glow in the dark white. In fact i make most white folks look like they have a super tan. I seem to have had just a problem or two while taking pictures.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Being a G---Damned yankee

THe darnest thing that ever happened to me was an elderly lady near Carnesville, Ga. (just off I-85) accussed me of being on her property though I was clearly on State Highway property. She accussed me of being a "G---Damn Yankee (though I live only 25 miles from Carnesville, Ga.). Nevertheless, she showed me a pistol that she had in her Apron like dress. And gave me to the count of 10 to get moving. I did of course, w/out talking back. I believe she would have killed me if I had not left THEN. I called Sheriffs Office when I got near a phone and filed a complaint. This was before cell phones of course.. The response from Sheriff's office was "you did the right thing buddy, she probably would have shot you. She is crazy!"
    Damn those Yankees!! They still are not welcome near Carnesville by a lot of people (lol)
    Last edited by Chuckiesinluv; 07-18-2004 at 03:32 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: wrong title

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Does anyone remember the late GARRY WINDERGRANDE: it is said he looked odd shooting from hip and eyes with a Leica-almost anywhere. Yet he is my idol as a street shooter. He had 4000 rolls of film that was never developed for a long time after his death in 1984. A great photographer. Check him out on internet or at large bookstores.
    Chuck Freeman

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    GARRY WINDERGRANDE

Chuck,

Garry's name is spelled Winogrand. I believe he taught at the University of Texas at Austin for a spell.

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

All Right for a Yankee

On a flight from Atalanta to my home in NYC a few years back, I sat next to a young woman who (after deciding that I was all right, for a Yankee) went on at length about how Yankees were still out to destroy the south and how every young child in the north was indoctrinated with some song about Sherman Burning Atlanta (don't recall the exact title, but I'd never heard of it in Boston or Minneapolis when I was growing). She talked about how to get rid of the Yankees that were invading the suburbs of Atlanta and forcing out the good southern folks. I asked why she was going to New York. For her work, she said. Where did she work? In the editorial office of PSYCHOLOGY TODAY.

KB
    (Who of course wants to plug photopermit.org on this thread, as long as I'm here)

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    Where did she work? In the editorial office of PSYCHOLOGY TODAY.
    I remember back in the late 70's they published an issue with a black and white cover. An interesting nude sitting on the floor with her hands tied behind her back. Lighting could have been better, but quite a nice composition. Darn thing is that although I read it cover to cover (yes I was the one), I could not find any article relating to the cover picture lol

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here is a recent one. While working the Speed G. in a local park, a digital-guy approached (to see what ever I was seeing, I'm sure) stating, "Wow! That's an old camera!" I replied, "Its pretty old all right and she has hot flashes. The problem is that they are contagious."
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper
    Hehe - very timely - there's an ad just starting to be shown on UK TV for the new Canon 300D/D*g*tal Rebel, where a crowd of hundreds in New York all stand back out of the way in awe as a young photographer takes a street snap with his smart, new d*g*tal camera. This is why we are getting the wrong reaction on the street - we don't have the right gear!
    I agree. I see tons of people in the street shooting whatever they see with g-damn digital p&s or even CAMCORDERS, fer chrissake, and they never get a single comment. When I take a quick pic of a crappy hippie beads stand in a public area with my Praktica, I get the "you could as permission!" remontrance. Sheesh. People are concerned about photography only when you're not a tourist. Otherwise I suppose it's odd for them to think that you might be interested by something else than the stupid statues in the town square.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    We here on the frozen tundra of Minnesota must be immune to the “Fascist” thing. I have yet to get any thing worse then “Did you take a picture of me?”. A lot of people will ask what I’m taking a picture of…, for…, who….

There was the one time that a group of maybe 300 Iraq war protestors all turned to look at me at once.

I was working on a project shooting the rallies and protests at our state capitol building. I would run around recording the event. At this particular protest a speaker got up and was complaining how Bush does this and Bush does that. All of a sudden she says “And I have it on good authority that the FBI is among us now spying taking our picture for a list. Be aware if your friends start going missing”. They will come and get us for speaking out against Bush and his cronies.” I had my Mamiya 645 which I have to say stuck out like a sore thumb. I can’t tell you the feeling when people turned to look at me in the few seconds she paused for effect. I smiled, shrugged my shoulders and took a picture, Fortunately they went back to chanting and singing.

Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I want to see THAT picture!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin