Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,605   Online: 1042

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adding music is a great way to make sure people don't see your images. Unless I'm there for the music, I'm more likely to close a page that has music than mute the speakers. Nothing is more annoying than having a web page start playing music.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't always visit other websites, but when I do,
    I prefer sites without lame background music.
    Stay Silent, My Friend. Unless it's a site for MetroSexuals ...

Real Men Use Film, And Prefer Tranquility.
    That's Why God Invented The Large Format Camera.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You absolutely need to pay for music on a website. You are promoting your copyrighted work, believe me... other copyright owners will want to get paid. There are sites you can get music for not much money... Music Bakery, I think, But the Lady Gaga's of the world will be expensive, and if they catch it, you'll get one of those nasty lawyer letters from the music company. As for music on the site, I don't have it on mine for many of the reasons stated above, but I have seen it used to good effect from time to time.

DLM
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron LarFor4X5 View Post
    I don't always visit other websites, but when I do,
    I prefer sites without lame background music.
    Stay Silent, My Friend. Unless it's a site for MetroSexuals ...

Real Men Use Film, And Prefer Tranquility.
    That's Why God Invented The Large Format Camera.
    Ha ha, awesome. Right from the first line, I knew what that was.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't do it. It's the plague of myspace.

First, it's probably not legal.

Second, many people like those here and myself would rather not have music start up, and x'ing out of a webpage is far easier than finding the volume control. I am often find time for surfing when I'm at work or when my baby/daughter/wife is sleeping. Peaceful is important.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Has the message come across already that adding music is good for driving people mad (and away)?
    If not: adding music is perfect for annoying people to bits and make them curse you and your web gallery.
    So perhaps better not?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you read the license agreement for any music you buy, you'll see for what type of usage your payment will allow you. Most I've seen basically says for personal entertainment use only. You could argue, your website is for your personal enjoyment. However, keep in mind, the music industry is hyper sensitive for misuse right now. Putting licensed music on a website can invite unwanted attention, and possibly result in lawsuit. Even if you eventually prevail, it will require you to defend yourself. That would be both both expensive and stressful.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if you really like the music and too broke
    to pay for it, you might consider swapping
    some of your artwork for the use of
    some of the music ... if they like your photography
    it might be a win-win situation ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c.louis View Post
    I'm thinking of making/designing a web portfolio site. I'm always thinking about adding bakcground music to it. I had ask my teacher who is a photographer and she answered it is okay to add commercial music as long as you give them credit. Commercial as Lady GaGa, LinkinPark... But does the law really meant this way? Could I get lawsuit for putting commercial music to the website as bkgrnd music.

Or I must find for royalty free musics?
    I agree with all the above. You need to buy the right to use most music, and you don't want the music to play automatically.

If you still want to have background music available as a choice then you could include a button that allows people to turn it on, but almost no one will.

Even if the website is music oriented, it should not come on automatically.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin