Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,405   Online: 1087

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Music for web portfolio... credit?Copyright?

I'm thinking of making/designing a web portfolio site. I'm always thinking about adding bakcground music to it. I had ask my teacher who is a photographer and she answered it is okay to add commercial music as long as you give them credit. Commercial as Lady GaGa, LinkinPark... But does the law really meant this way? Could I get lawsuit for putting commercial music to the website as bkgrnd music.

Or I must find for royalty free musics?

DLM
    Shooter
    35mm
    Please. No. Music.

I know I'm not alone in thinking that one of the most annoying things that can happen when I go to a site is that some music I probably don't like comes on. First, I have to figure out where it's coming from (remember, many of us have multiple tabs open at once), then I have to fish around the page to find the button to turn it off. By that time, you've already both bored and annoyed me.

If your content is strong, then that will speak multitudes over some trendy song playing. I would think it would do more harm having the music there, because many, like me, just close the tab if it starts playing music.

A clean, straightforward design with good content will do you fine. No frilly stuff needed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    back in the early 90's when the web was new and first sites were appearing Music was all the rage, but these days it's gimmicky. It only works in a few instances, often when the music's been written to compliment the images, which is quite rare.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here as well: Please no music. It is extremely annoying. I have my own background music thank you very much.

Concerning the rights, of course you need to pay for the use unless it's royalty free or you have a specific agreement with the copyright owner. I do not know where your teacher gets the idea that when it's commercial giving credit is enough. It's COMMERCIAL, which means they want to make money of it.

DLM
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Jansen View Post
    Concerning the rights, of course you need to pay for the use unless it's royalty free or you have a specific agreement with the copyright owner. I do not know where your teacher gets the idea that when it's commercial giving credit is enough. It's COMMERCIAL, which means they want to make money of it.
    Yep. That's like saying I can use one of your images on my site to advertise my product as long as I credit you. You probably wouldn't appreciate it, and neither would the copyright holder of that music. I'm not going to go into how I feel about the music industry, and my lack of sympathy for the rich record execs who are the ones who really make the money from that song, but the law is the law.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    IN THE NAME OF G*D PLEASE, I BEG YOU, NO MUSIC!

For all the reasons others have stated.

Your teacher is an ignorant fool.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    music on a website can sometimes be nice
    and sometimes be no so nice.

ask someone who has music
    on his/her website .. to learn if
    any fees are involved.

most of the time my volume is off / mute
    so i usually miss out, unless i am listening to something
    specific to go along with images, like john callow's brother patrick ( auger shell ).
    he makes some beautiful sounds that work great with images.

good luck!

john
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-21-2010 at 07:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You have two legal choices as I understand it;

Get (buy) royalty free music.

Pay the royalties.

As far as adding music to the site, I agree with all the nay sayers above, just say no.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    fact is that your taste in music will be very different to most other peoples taste so unless it's fundamental to what you are trying to get over in your site, then be very careful about using music.

All music has copyright. So unless it expressly says royalty free, then you have to pay. Many take the risk of getting caught.
    I'd say your teacher is cluelesss because the most active companies checking for copyright infringement are those who look after recent releases such as lady gaga.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Both myspace and geocities are very... played out. Please avoid music. And, since apparently this needs to be said: also avoid blink tags and other flashing lights. And neon backgrounds. It is very annoying.

As others have noted, you need to obtain a license for use of any copyrighted material that you use. For some material (which has been released into public domain) this means that you already have a license. For others, and this is almost the entirety of the music corpus published in the last 50 years, you need to pay a royalty. The same exact issues arise as music sharing software, and you are actually facing a fairly substantial lawsuit the way the music industry is treating this.

There is such a thing as "fair use", but background music is clearly not a fair use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin