Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,029   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

What is your most important picture?

No doubt if you have been into photography for some time, you have hundreds or thousands of photos. I sometimes wonder which of my photos will be used or admired after I'm gone, and which one has meant the most to me or someone else. Although I have taken many shots that I'm proud of, where the exposure and composition and focus were right on, it is only a few that have meant much to me or someone else. Probably the ones that have made me happiest would be the ones where I just happened to get a nice pic of a relative that died years later and the family wanted a good picture of that person. This happened to me with an uncle whos son didn't have a good picture of his mom and dad. He contacted me and I had taken one at a family gathering that was really nice. Do you ever consided what your work will mean in 25 or 50 years? If so, how has it changed your photography? For me I now try to get good pictures of individuals at family reunions as you never know where they will be in a few years. This doesn't have to be just people either, I have taken pictures of buildings that have been torn down or changed. The point is we never know which photo will be important years from now. I remember that famous photo of a kid with overalls and a bare feet with a funny hat on. Years later it was on the cover of one of Elvis Presleys albums. What are your thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do I have to pick just one? There a quite a few images that I have made that are my favorites. I don't sell prints but many signed prints have been given to those who appreciate them. It is satisfying to know that my prints are displayed on the walls in other peoples homes.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The most important photographs have been the ones that have pushed me, or led me, to see the world, and my work in relation to it, differently.

The series I am doing of my boys in the landscape has different layers of meaning than my straight landscape work. Family , personalities, man's relationship with the land, etc. And perhaps when my boys are my age, their kids will use the photographs of "the brothers" as guide posts to understanding their father, and perhaps their grandfather.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The one I'm about to take.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My next one
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If I had to chose one photo, it would be the grainy, blurry picture I took seconds after my first child was born, the midwife is setting her down on my wife's body.
    I choose that photo, because it is a moment that changed my life, and the lives of my wife and kids forever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
    If I had to chose one photo, it would be the grainy, blurry picture I took seconds after my first child was born, the midwife is setting her down on my wife's body.
    I choose that photo, because it is a moment that changed my life, and the lives of my wife and kids forever.
    Although I was present at the birth of both my sons , I didn't take any pictures because they were so ugly that the midwife got confused and slapped them in the in the face !
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The question posed here is a hard one to answer, because so many of the photos have different meanings. Speaking strictly of my non-family photos, I would say so far to date would be this image http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/w...#/2009_7_28572

I've spent countless thousands of dollars on cameras in the last 30 years and my most successful photo was taken with a cheap, 50 year old Russian FED 2 or Zorki 4 (I forget which now) rangefinder. I was out to shoot a test roll of FOMAPAN 400 a film I had never used before (and hardly after) when I spotted Otha and the boys.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My choice may seem insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but I'll have a stab at it.

Mostly I photograph what satisfies my soul and how I see the world around me. I like to make portraits, and last May of 2009 a friend of mine asked if I could photograph her horse Doc. Doc was an old horse with only one eye, having lost the other to cancer some ten years back. Now cancer grew in his second eye, and the only remaining solution was to put him down.
    I met Doc for the first time the day before he was to be put down, and I photographed him the same day of course. I shot five rolls of film - 3 x 120 and 2 x 36exp 35mm. I gave my friend the pictures as scanned on a CD, and a medium sized print of her choosing for free.

Out of the pictures I can't pick one that I feel is more significant, but I rate the series of pictures as the most important one. It's by far the pictures that gave the recipient of the print the strongest emotional reaction; today, a year later, she still tells me she tears up when she looks at them.

I'm very proud to be able to do that level of service for someone, by doing what I love.

- Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009-05-07-05_sm.jpg   2009-05-07-12_sm.jpg   c3_pillow_apug.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of my most important shots was shot with my digital Rebel (go ahead and hate) with a 300mm zoom lens, it was the plate of a car that committed a hit and run on one of my co-worker's vans while we were on a job.

The Rebel has a zoom function for stored images and I zoomed in on the plate and showed it to the officer. Happened to have the thing on me, you never know when an egret or swan will walk up to our trucks on a jobsite.

He was promptly apprehended.

For my film, it was the entire first roll I shot through my Nikon because almost all of them turned out better than their digital counterparts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin