Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,167   Online: 977

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ted. I work at a university art department. All of the art faculty at UCD teach to support their art. Doing just your art for a living is tough. I asked my photo professor about the same thing 30 year had she said it was tough. Hone your craft, get a day and possibly teach.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Throw in free lawn mowing.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    How to create a small fortune with Landscape Photography:

Start with a large one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Marry a rich woman or man.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post

Start with a large one.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like the wine biz.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post

Start with a large one.
    I'm not sure if you're referring to the many grand vistas of Great Britain, but if so, it's a good point. Considering how many landscape photographers there are to each county (I won't make the rat analogy, but search 'Derbyshire landscape photographer' for example) and how many 'views' each county affords, it seems to me that those who are really successful have found a niche within a niche. Or simply, you have to better everyone else and beat them to the sunrise.

I really don't think it's possible to make a living from it unless you're leading several workshops a week - an inevitability of the job it would seem. This is how Joe Cornish and David Ward make part of their living and they're selling more prints than anyone else, as well as publishing books. But from the great amount of time I've spent looking at landscape work, I've come to the conclusion that it's more business than simply being at one with the elements.
    Last edited by batwister; 12-24-2012 at 08:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    it seems to me that those who are really successful have found a niche within a niche. Or simply, you have to better everyone else and beat them to the sunrise.
    Dominating a niche by producing top work within this unique niche is in my personal experience the number one way to make it in any area of photography in this day and age.

Once you think your work in this niche is good enough, get out of the mutual praise circles of sites like this and Flickr and get real portfolio reviews from highly regarded photographers who's work you admire. Nine out of ten aspiring photographers fail at turning the craft into a viable business because they fail to find a unique niche, vastly underestimate how much work is involved and quite often overestimate how good their work is mostly due to lack of critical review and instead rely on the endless showers of empty praise on Flickr.

There will be more Michael Kenna's in the world in going forward, but the manifestation of this level of success can not live in your head alone or even among your peers on APUG.....somehow everyone in line at an "American Idol" audition seems to think that they are the next one.....but only one wins.

Those are your odds right there....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post
    I realise there are pros and cons to every job, and a landscape photographer who earns his living from such a role no doubt wishes he was in a warm office or something when it's -5 degrees at 04:00 while he waits for the morning light, amidst other cons, I am sure.

However, are there many of us here who earn a living from landscape photography? If so, what does your average month entail? How many times are you out and about, and how much time do you spend marketting your pictures, and how do you do that?

Over the years, I keep sitting at my desk at work and wishing I instead earnt my living from photography where my success and failure relied entirely on my own abilities (or lack of) rather than because the boss likes or dislikes me - especially landscape photography as there's nothing better than being out in the open, wrapped up with your flask and lunch box waiting for the time to press the shutter (though if I can get properly trained at wedding photography, maybe that, as I have really enjoyed the first two I've done and people say I am a good "people person"). I know that the reality is that I probably couldn't earn a living from landscpaes, but I know there are a lucky few who do via gallery style stuff, calendars, books etc. How do they do it?
    Be Ansel Adams, be born over 100 years ago, work hard and don't expect to earn much money until 10 or 20 years before you check out. Otherwise forgetaboutit.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If there is such a thing as reincarnation the last thing I would want to come back as is a professional photographer, landscape or otherwise, I would rather be a professional plumber, because at the prices they charge they must earn more than than an average surgeon, or dentist.
    Ben

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin