Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,311   Online: 908

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been going to the same local photography club for over a year now. Mostly in this area it's a lot of older guys shooting DSLR's and/or Nikon or Canon modern SLR's. Only one other guy uses vintage equipment though several like it and have used those cameras in the past.

I've had my Fuji S7000 which is a higher end point and shoot with pretty good manual settings for over 7 years and though I have taken plenty of good shots with it and have had some liked by others, in these clubs as far as the guys were concerned I was just a dilettante, hobbyist, female getting lucky shooting with a pocket camera.

First time I brought in my two old SLRs with some real lenses you'd have thought I'd changed heads or something. They were so impressed that they nearly fell over in their chairs, particularly with my Takumars. Suddenly I was being taken seriously, and they were all about paying attention to what I was doing, offering tips, and teaching me how to use them the "right" way.

It was all I could do not to laugh my arse off.

Mind you I was no more skilled than I had been for the past year and more. I just had more gear and some real lenses to play with and for some reason that made ALL the difference with this bunch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hey derek

someone told me that a few weeks ago.
    seems like it was a compliment, so i just smiled.
    i don't think if someone says that
    they mean it to be a snide remark
    i think they just realize
    that there are people who
    like film because, well
    they kind of know what
    they are doing
    more than the average
    person with a camera on their cellphone.
    after all we can't just chimp-it and delete all 6000 frames
    until we get to the one we like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about an artist who prefers to create work by hand rather than on a computer?

or

Someone who works with computers all day and wants to get away from them in their hobby/free time?

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    If you shoot film, you are one of three people:
    1. a luddite who doesn't own a computer or only uses the computer for AOL to send email in all caps.
    2. a vastly experienced photographer who has decades of experience and still chooses to shoots film because he/she likes that medium.
    3. a very young digitally trained photographer who has the skills and confidence (because you can't chimp) and learning ability to pick up film and do a good job with that too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    How about an artist who prefers to create work by hand rather than on a computer?

or

Someone who works with computers all day and wants to get away from them in their hobby/free time?

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    1. a luddite who doesn't own a computer or only uses the computer for AOL to send email in all caps.
    2. a vastly experienced photographer who has decades of experience and still chooses to shoots film because he/she likes that medium.
    3. a very young digitally trained photographer who has the skills and confidence (because you can't chimp) and learning ability to pick up film and do a good job with that too.
    I am guilty of:
    5. Someone who works with computers all day and wants to get away from them in their hobby/free time.
    6. I cannot find a good chimpin' class
    so I rather stare at ground glass.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Originally Posted by jp498 View Post

Mmm hmm. That's where I sit, comfortable and contented.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Mmm hmm. That's where I sit, comfortable and contented.
    What about 5 and 6?

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Since film photography requires handling more bits of stuff, more steps and more details to get to the end result
    Really? I really am ignorant of digital photography, but film photography seems really really simple. You load the film in the camera (easy-self explanatory with most cameras-I don't even know if I could turn on most digital cameras), you shoot it (easier than digital, and controls are obvious usually), you develop it (dunk it in developer...oooh hard), you print it (put negative in enlarger, project onto paper. Tough stuff). Very simple.

I don't even try to scan stuff for the web anymore because the process is annoying, unfun, and opaque. I guess it's a matter of perspective.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't found quite the certainty that you know how a digital shot is going to turn out the moment you take it. I use, when the digital mood takes me, a Canon 10D and a G9. I've found that the sense of sharpness and luminosity on an LCD screen is often out of proportion to what it really is, and often the pictures when looked at on a proper monitor betray obvious problems with focus and exposure, particularly focus. Even when I'm doing static shots using a tripod, say for some table-top photography, using a release cable or self-timer, I'm often having to take several safety shots because the impression of focus accuracy on the camera review screen is misleading.
    Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only hands on digital experience that I know about is the doctor's prostate exam. :o :o :o :o :o

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i think one of the best things to ever happen to a photographer is when you know you got the exposure right (or in my case at least acceptable to print). i understand that more than likely this is a product of experience, but i believe that shooting film certainly helps learn this ability. the instant gratification, preview, and virtually unlimited quantity of the digital image means you don't have to be "right on" with exposure when you release the shutter, and in general, that leads to less consideration about your image quality.
    Last edited by fwank; 07-01-2010 at 07:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin