Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,494   Online: 1019

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fwank View Post
    i think one of the best things to ever happen to a photographer is when you know you got the exposure right (or in my case at least acceptable to print). i understand that more than likely this is a product of experience, but i believe that shooting film certainly helps learn this ability. the instant gratification, preview, and virtually unlimited quantity of the digital image means you don't have to be "right on" with exposure when you release the shutter, and in general, that leads to less consideration about your image quality.
    Experience and practice get you to the point that you know if you moved the camera, left the lens cap one, or need to bracket the exposure. Then you do not even think of needing to chimp.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did take his comments as a compliment, as I think he meant it to be. I have heard this comment from others who I bump into on the street/trail that have a Dxyz in their hand. Or I get the comment "I wish I didn't switch to digital". So here is the thing, let's say you put a roll of Portra in a Canon 1V and set it to auto, and then shoot a Canon 5D on auto. Your going to get a great image on each, so why this perception of knowing what your doing because you shoot film? It's that little screen on the back of the digital camera, that's why.

Imagine what would have happened if the digital camera didn't have that little screen on the back. would consumers think it's easier, or better to shoot digital if there was no screen? Probably not. It would be just the same as shooting film. Sales man says "well, what you do with this new camera is take your pictures, and then you download them to your computer. Once you decide which ones you want you can process them and then print them." How different is that from shooting film? I don't think it is much different at all. But put a little screen on the back of the camera so you can see what you just shot and it's like a kid on crack.

Now don't get me wrong, I believe that digital and film can live side by side but each has it's own strength and weakness. Both are only tools for the creative mind to use. Nothing more. The best thing a photographer has to use while making photographs is the tool between his/her ears.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Lofgreen View Post
    The best thing a photographer has to use while making photographs is the tool between his/her ears.
    I think I'm putting this on a T-shirt....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A female doctor did that to me once Steve, I told her it was more customary to shake hands.
    Ben

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin