Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,410   Online: 954

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Images
    I guess I'm lucky to live in the Boston area. I never get those questions. Many times I've been in Boston with my Zone VI wood field 4x5 set up on a tripod and I get knowing smiles and have often even gotten broad smiles and a "thunbs up" gesture from people going by in autos. Once in my home town I had my Cambo legend set up trying to photograph some wonderful ice patterns in a stream near my house. I had just gotten it and was all thumbs using it. As I worked it two fellows came walking down the road and gave a somewhat curious look at my set up. We passed pleasentries about the day and then one fellow said "wow, that is SERIOUS photography". On any given Sunday in Boston if I am out taking photos just about every other person I see also has a camera around their necks.
    Some of that is the tourists but a lot of it is locals as well. And of course part of it is the fact that Boston is just so visually intersting.
    JOHN

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    People tend to ask if my cameras(1912 Speed Graphic or its baby cousin a Century Graphic with 120 roll back) takes plates. Not sure what their obsession with plates are. Sheet Film's been around for quite a while.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always get silly questions and such, but the only time that really pissed me off was when I was threatened by some "homeboys" in my own neighborhood, where my family has lived for six generations, because they didn't want some white guy poking around their "hood" with a camera.

I was in the middle of a big project. I had my SINAR on a tripod riding shotgun loaded with Fujiroid pack film, and I would get out at certain pre-designated areas to shoot in the middle of the street. I had it down pat. I could get in and out in well under ten minutes. Park, bring out camera on tripod, rough compose with shutter open, place tripod, level tripod, level camera, make composition, make light reading, put pack film back in, take shot, check temperature, develop print, reshoot if necessary, pack up and leave.

Well, I had finished one of these shots, and I picked up the whole tripod/camera and put it behind my van (parked on the street) just to get it out of the street while I packed up everything else. Well, the lens happened to be pointed at this group of people who was sitting around in their driveway/front lawn, and one guy decided he didn't like that. He came up and asked me what I was doing. I told him. He asked why the camera was pointed at their house. I told him I had just set it there while I as packing up, and that there was no film in it. I explained my project. He didn't care, and became threatening.

There is absolutely nothing more scary than people who are ignorant, prideful, and violent all at once, especially in a group. The facts do not matter. The laws do not matter. It is just pure, anarchic animalism. You're on your own.

I turned the camera the other way and apologized as a semi appeasement, but I "kindly" explained to him that this was my neighborhood as much as it was his, that I was not on his property, but on the public's property, and I started to educate him about the Constitutional liberties that protected what I was doing, basically calling him out on his ignorance and lack of patriotism. After a while, he actually seemed to feel bad, and stepped back, though he never apologized or anything like that. I probably just bored him.

I should have bit my tongue and put my tail between my legs and just left. I am, quite simply, lucky that words worked this time. If I had not had the legitimate six-generation tie to the neighborhood to lean on, I am sure things would not have gone my way.

So, people are idiots. They are animals. Be careful. Protect your body. Everything else is replaceable. The law will not help you until after the fact. We live in a state of animalistic anarchy, with a thin veil of society spread over it. That veil can only do so much in a heated, isolated situation.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey 2/F: I think this is due to so many people smoking pot or taking other drugs. It makes the user paranoid. I have seen people watch me like a hawk even without a camera in hand and in public places. There is no reason for it, except they are messed up. Ric.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was walking through my neighborhood with my son who was 10 at the time. He had an interest in photography which I encouraged. So we were off to explore the town we live in and share our hobby together with our cameras in hand. Me with my Nikon N70 and he with a really nice point and shoot. Photographing flowers, architecture, and each other. It was a quiet day. Seemed like we had the whole area to ourselves. No one really around or so I thought. Then a police car rolls up and the officer asks me to come over. He then asks me what I am doing. I explained what we were doing and he tells me that he received a call that there was a strange man walking around with a camera trying to lure children. I said "What?! Can't I even walk around my own neighborhood with my son? Don't these people have something else better to do? I'm spending quality time with my son and teaching him something constructive. I should call the cops when i see a parent ignoring his or her child because that's the real crime!" The officer then apologized for bothering me but he had to do his duty and check things out. And after I calmed down I had to acknowledge that he was right about that. What if there was some pervert trying to pick up young children? I did thank him for doing his job protecting the community and he went on his way. Sadly though my son and i never walked through that neighborhood again to take photos. We went elsewhere but i always wondered if an officer was going to roll up and ask what i was doing.
    I've also had some fun with people when they see my equipment and ask about it. They'll ask something dumb like "Wow! That's a nice camera. I bet it takes great pictures. So, how many mega-pixels is that?" My response is that this uses something even better called Fast Imaging and Light and Management. It puzzles them for a moment and then I explain that it's just FILM.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric Trexell View Post
    Hey 2/F: I think this is due to so many people smoking pot or taking other drugs. It makes the user paranoid. I have seen people watch me like a hawk even without a camera in hand and in public places. There is no reason for it, except they are messed up. Ric.
    Are you serious? Come on now. People are largely assholes with or without chemical influence.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunately, You Are Correct 2F/2F.
    When people ask why I use the 4X5 instead of a DigiSnapper.
    I always try to explain the therapeutic value of photography.
    No Photography, No Peace ?
    Know Photography, Know Peace !
    A Very Simple Cure. But most AssHoles, don't appreciate simplicity.

Ron

From The Long Island Of New York, and the
    Long Island @ Large Format Group, right here on APUG

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was shooting the other day on my local boardwalk, with my old Leica M2, when a young-ish (less than 50) man walked past, and nodded at my camera....M2 or M3, he asked. M2, I replied. Nice, was his retort....we are not alone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been hassled by Police and "Police Community Support Officers" (plastic plod) in London and always with no good reason. It confuses the crap out of them when they ask to see what I've been shooting and it's on film (not that I would EVER show them what I've been shooting, on any medium, without them getting a court order first).

Recently, I acquired a 500c/m and this seems to be regarded by many as a comedy camera capable of nothing of value. Fools.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Are you serious? Come on now. People are largely assholes with or without chemical influence.
    Agreed, I think (especially in LA) you'll run into gangs wanting to protect "their" turf and guys who think they can earn respect in the eyes of their peers by intimidating others, more than people whose drug use has made them aggressive. (Point the camera at someone who's dealing, then you can expect some aggression.)
    Pentax: 6x7 MLU
    Olympus: OM-1n
    Graflex: Miniature (2x3) Speed Graphic

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin