Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,933   Online: 1025

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

What are you doing?

Anyone else out there get asked that question?

Iím guessing that itís got to be the film gear, the waist level viewing, the light meter Ė whatever- that generates the question. I just realized that I get asked that almost every time Iím shooting. In my head, Iím usually thinkingÖ what do you mean Ďwhat am I doing?í?? But usually I kindly tell the curious that Iím taking a picture.

On more than several occasions Iíve gotten the same follow up question: Ďbut are ya taking movies?í.

While shooting at an arboretum last night, a woman came up to me and said "where are you going to put that?". A bit confused I thought she meant the tripod, but she went on to ask 'no, where are you putting the picture - in a magazine?'

No, I just do this because it makes me happy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was taking a photo of a plumbing shop on a back street one morning when one of the employees rushed out and asked what I was doing, when I told him he asked if it was going to be in the paper. I told him no, at which point he looked puzzled and asked "why the hell ya takin it for then" ---- I just smiled and replied "cause it makes me happy to take photos, and keeps me outta the barrooms". His response was "aint nuttin keeps me outta bars 'cept work" . I made a mental note to never use that plumbing company--ever.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now that you mention it, I do get lots of questions about what I'm doing.
    For the past few weeks I've been going to a marina and setting up the 4x5.
    It's located in an Ultra Hood, lots of nice boats and homes.
    And it's a mix of " are you taking pictures for Architectural Digest, or a Yacht magazine ?
    And then I have to explain that I am only doing because, it's my inexpensive form of therapy.
    Unfortunately, it's usually someone that's too old for me to try and infect them with some
    photographic enthusiasm. These geezers are really happy with their DigiSnappers.
    Or youngsters, It would be nice to take time and explain the process, and show them how the camera works. But I don't want to be the man with the strange camera, talking to kids.
    There is an arboretum nearby, I should call to find out if they would allow me to set up the camera and tripod on the premises. Unfortunately after " The Terrorists Attack " I was profiled for being out and about and taking pictures at Port Jefferson Harbor, and Northport. It just got to be really annoying being told that I couldn't take pictures in certain locations. Nothing more frustrating than removing the lensboard to show that there isn't a rocket launcher, or explosive in the bellows. So now I stay away from popular locations. Hopefully some day I will go back to Manhattan, I can image the nonsense that I will encounter.
    But if I am not comfortable going out, and taking pictures in my own country :
    " The Terrorists Win "

Enjoy The Weekend, And All The Patriotic Activities !!!

Ron

From The Long Island Of New York

Last edited by M.A.Longmore; 07-02-2010 at 01:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I was asked that question a lot when using the RB67, which I had to sell recently. More than one person confused it with a video camera. One local establishment even sent their security guards out to check me out, from a distance. They didn't approach me, as I wasn't on their property, but they took a photo of me with a little digicam while I was working. I guess I'm on file there now.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I get that a lot when shooting people…I just pretend not to "get" what they're saying (I tend to avoid conversations like that).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was once asked if I was shooting for the local newspaper. I was using a 4x5 view camera on a large tripod at the time. Apparently, this person had just stepped out of 1920.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by WetMogwai View Post
    I was once asked if I was shooting for the local newspaper. I was using a 4x5 view camera on a large tripod at the time. Apparently, this person had just stepped out of 1920.
    What! He did not ask if it was a Hasselblad??

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by WetMogwai View Post
    I bet he thought that you were still stuck in 1920.
    He probably just couldn't imagine any reason why you would be using such a thingy that would make sense.

Years ago, before the Global Terrorism Scare, i was taking pictures of some navy ships when a man in a suit came up to me, probing me for my intentions. I put on a bit of an act, posing as a simpleton (well... that's not hard for me to do), and raved a bit about how beautiful these boats were. He then went away again.
    It must have been the camera i used (my Hasselblad. What else? ), since it was fleet day, and there were hords of people snapping away with their little cameras.
    Last edited by Q.G.; 07-03-2010 at 02:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Years ago, before the Global Terrorism Scare, i was taking pictures of some navy ships when a man in a suit came up to me, probing me for my intentions. I put on a bit of an act, posing as a simpleton (well... that's not hard for me to do), and raved a bit about how beautiful these boats were. He then went away again.[...]

LOL!!!
    But we're all guilty. If it gets me off the hook, it's worth the act!
    ďThe photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Or what do you do when the other person is a simpleton who has been watching too much tabloid television and has been effected by bad scare journalism?

Today I decided to go for a walk down by a creek not too far from where I live. This creek has houses that basically back onto it (OK, there is probably 20 or 30 metres betwen these houses and the creek proper). For years, the owner of one of these houses has been storing their firewood outside of their property. Its not really a nuisance, as a matter of fact, its a kinda cool pile to take abstract photos of, which I have done a few times before.

Well, I must have been lucky in the past, as I had never been hassled before. Not so today. As I was overlooking the pile, the Man of the house walks outside (open fence, I can see in, they can see out). I yell out "don't Mind me", he replies "you're right".

About 30 seconds later, the lady of the house comes out in a huff. "You can't take pictures here" was her first words, to which I promptly replied "Its not private property " (remember, the pile of wood is stored outside of their property). This was followed up by "Why are you taking pictures of my wood and WHAT BUSINESS IS IT OF YOURS ANYWAY".....

We conversed for the next few minutes. In the end, I determined that she could see no sane reason for anyone to take pictures of firewood and since I was there doing it, I therefore must be a pervert and taking pictures of her back yard.... I managed to convince her that I really couldn't give a damn about her backyard and that I was only looking at the textures of the wood. By the time she walked off, the moment had passed, but hey, I still made sure that I took a picture or two of those stoopid logs.

Today made me realise that people just don't get it and when they don't get it, they cannot fathom why others do get it. This makes them suspicious.

I must make sure I print one of the pictures and drop it in their letter box one day.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin