Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,549   Posts: 1,646,270   Online: 975

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get the classic question, "Do they still make film for that". I always think to myself, no I'm just pretending to shoot, there is no film in the camera.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    My upscale point and shoot Fuji most people ignore me, unless they mistake it for a DSLR for a second. I bring my Spottie out and everyone smiles and shakes their heads, but they don't ignore me. They ask questions and assume I'm either a photographer by profession or a serious student. In fact I've gotten a lot more respect out of people using my SLR's than I ever did using my P&S. They may not get why I'm still shooting film, but at least they take me seriously.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alexmacphee View Post
    I think these cameras tap into pleasant memories and nostalgia. Whether a D70 or an EOS 1Ds will ever have the same associations, I'm not so sure.
    My mother in law is old enough to remember when cameras like the Yashica were new. Now that you mention it, I think some of her reaction might have been tied to that.

I also think you guys are right. The waist level finder has a lot to do with it. You're not staring the other person down when you take their picture. People don't like the feeling of being stared at. Right?

munz6869,

I had a hell of a time trying to photograph the dog with the Yashica! It's a little chihuahua. The thing virtually never stands still! By the time you even get the camera pointed at the dog, she's already zipped half way across the yard!... Let alone taking a reading, setting your aperture and shutter then focusing! Yeah, I know. Zone focus. But, damn! I have a hard enough time photographing that little, brown streak with my 35mm!

Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only way I can photograph my rat terrier is to either catch him asleep, good luck, or use my Nikon F3 and get a motor drive for it. I've thought of an 8X10 portrait of him, but that's going to mean some kind of food treat to draw his attention for an instant. Kind of a carrot and stick approach.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    Same response here but with a Rolleicord
    Another one here with similar responses to a Rolleicord.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the same respond with my Rolleiflex.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I shoot with a number of old cameras, both 35mm and 120, folders, tlrs and a couple of fixed lens voightlanders, and I always get a great result with any of them, people seem to enjoy being photographed with them and almost always want to talk about them,yet when I used my "Modern" cameras such as my bronica etrs and pentax slrs people were almost always reluctant to be photographed with them, These days I always use the classics as the results of happy and relaxed subjects make better pictures,Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I get the classic question, "Do they still make film for that". I always think to myself, no I'm just pretending to shoot, there is no film in the camera.
    I had that question when I went into a camera shop !!!! I only wanted to look at their 12x10 camera with TP shutter and Cooke portrait lens.

Admittedly the shop was on Samos, and was also a thriving portrait studio & social/commercial photography business.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Another one here with similar responses to a Rolleicord.

Steve.
    Me too! It's really nice I think.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "Ach! Die gibt's noch?!"
    Last week. An elderly gentleman.

I once was out and about with a brand new model, and got compliments for the "nice old camera" i had.
    That was before the Digiwave, though.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin