Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,943   Posts: 1,585,778   Online: 1100

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Thoughts on signing prints

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum or not, but I was wondering what the general consensus/best business practices are for how prints should be signed. Should they be pencil or ink, on the print or on the mat itself. FWIW, I sign prints in pencil on the mat.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I sign mine on the print edge, outside the image area (my prints are are done with a black border as part of the print). I sign with a silver felt-tip pen.
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I sign on the back in pencil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like David, On the back, along the border area with (C) name + date + Neg number.
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a good discussion on this right now in the Azo forums on Michael and Paula's site:

http://michaelandpaula.com/mp/AzoFor...GID=5117&CID=6

Not sure how I'm going to deal with this issue when I mount my images for the photo exchange. I'll probably sign in the lower right corner, date in the left, and then sign again on the back with the # in the edition on the back.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I leave about 1/4" border on two sides and the top and about 3/8" on the bottom with an overlay/window mat. I sign in the bottom right margin: (c) year/name with a silver gray gel pen on the print. The signature is visable but does not stand out/distract, and it is perminently fixed to the print. If the print needs a title I will use the same pen and title it on the bottom left.

Shooter
    Large Format
    i sign the back in pencil, and when it is matted, i sign the matboard.

Images
    Sign the front of the overmatt, then stamp and title on the back. of the mount board. Dry mounting my prints from now on.
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    Sign the front of the overmatt, then stamp and title on the back. of the mount board. Dry mounting my prints from now on.
    Brian,

Where did you get the "stamp" for the back of your prints. I've been lookin for one but can't seem to find any.

Thanks,

Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Brett Weston (I'm sure others) used to cut an extra hole in the front mat and sign and date there. I always thought this was classy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin