Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,724   Posts: 1,515,027   Online: 1197

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's an interesting link re: several state laws on "recording."

http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-gui...-law-recording

Sadly, it takes a good deal of $$ to take something to the Supreme Court. If you have it, go get'm.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Here's an interesting link re: several state laws on "recording."
    It still amazes me that each state can have different laws. Here in England the same laws apply to the whole country.

That's got to be easier to keep up with if you are a lawyer.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You contrast the amazing bit that each state can have its own laws by saying that within one state, the same laws apply?

So the law in England applies to all England, yes.
    But how about those other bits of the U.K.?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    It still amazes me that each state can have different laws. Here in England the same laws apply to the whole country.
    States' rights were a significant sticking point in the founding of the country, and have been defended by various methods, including, unfortunately, civil war.

Fifty sets of laws = more lawyers; they're very happy with the current arrangement.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    So the law in England applies to all England, yes.
    But how about those other bits of the U.K.?
    Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have variations on the law. Not sure why though.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Fifty sets of laws = more lawyers; they're very happy with the current arrangement.
    But does it mean that a lawyer in one state cannot work in another state without re-qualifying?

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    But does it mean that a lawyer in one state cannot work in another state without re-qualifying?

Steve.
    Admission to the bar rules. Some state have reciprocial agreements, some don't. So even more lawyers are needed to find out where lawyers can practice law.

Shooter
    35mm
    RTHOMAS:
    About the Second Sunday Camera Show that you asked about: I had been going from Philadelphia (public transport) for about two years and there was a patron on the bus with me who was a regular like me. He had a 50mm El Nikkor for sale for $15 and I said I would like it. We got off the bus and walked to the Firehouse (where the show is held) and as we were walking in I asked to see it. The proprietor told me that that was not permitted so we went out to the parking lot. He followed us and started to give me royal hell and threatened to call the police. NOTE: the patron NEVER received even a modicum of criticism and HE was the person selling the lens. I gulped and went back into the show area and made my purchases as always. I will state now that I bought tons of stuff every show because there is a dealer there (A Duren) who is a human example of exemplary humanity. After the show was over I went to the female at the ticket counter and apoligized for anything I might have done despite the fact that I distinctly heard her thank the thug who did all the screaming. I then left to go back to get the bus to Newark where I would get my train back to Philadelphia. I thought and pondered and decided to write a rather lengthy letter to the show's management and also posted it in the 'Lounge forum' (I believe Jan 2008 or thereabouts). I received a torrent of hate emails from many of the show's dealers and many, many hate postings from this forum. Oddly, Photo.net respondees were much more understanding and conciliatory. Thinking hard and honestly about this incident I have come to the conclusion that the hate was really because I was such an astute buyer and did not patronize dealers who wished to fleece me (I do not think that either Arnie nor Artie Duren, who are twins by the way, even know HOW to fleece anyone). After that hate spate I decided to never return because I was not prepared for both the hate gauntlet at the door the next time I entered and was genuinely afraid of the Wayne police waiting for me to stub my toe and then arrest me. I could name names, some of whom are familiar to this forum, but I will spare the ignominy. Each morning when I wake up I remember fully and personally acknowledge to myself that I have hurt no one. But that is not good enough for some ethically challenged people out there. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    That sounds odd... how can you be threatened with arrest for interest in an item for sale at a camera show? What happened?
    This confused me also. Can we get some clarification on this? (We're at a camera show, a patron of the camera show expresses an interest in a camera for sale at said camera show, and someone threatens to arrest the patron? What am I missing? )

I'm no fan of abuses by authorities of whatever kind, but something seems a little off about this story as it currently stands.

FWIW, I do think that were my camera-toting high school friends and I attempting to take the same photos we took back then (of public buildings, etc.), we'd be at least asked to cease and desist if not detained by cops/security guards trying to make the "next big score" in the War On Whatever It Is We're Against Today.

(Edit: Looks like the clarification was posted just as I was making my own post--thanks.)
    Pentax: 6x7 MLU
    Olympus: OM-1n
    Graflex: Miniature (2x3) Speed Graphic

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    RTHOMAS:
    About the Second Sunday Camera Show that you asked about:
    (Snipped for brevity's sake)

So the proprietors of the show were more or less harassing you for not going through the dealers there...if they don't like you cutting a separate deal, they need to get over it or lose your business altogether. (But the two of you might have been wiser to keep it a little quieter. )
    Pentax: 6x7 MLU
    Olympus: OM-1n
    Graflex: Miniature (2x3) Speed Graphic

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin