Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,074   Posts: 1,612,068   Online: 1024

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    It's all there...
    So it is!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Does an Englishman in England enjoy more protection by law than a Welshmen in England?
    No. It's the same - as expected.

However, there are apparently two old laws which have never been repealed. One is that a Welshman seen in Chester after midnight can be shot by an Englishman using a bow and arrow. There is a similar law relating to Scotsmen in Yorkshire!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    However, there are apparently two old laws which have never been repealed. One is that a Welshman seen in Chester after midnight can be shot by an Englishman using a bow and arrow. There is a similar law relating to Scotsmen in Yorkshire!
    Thanks! I'll make double sure, then, that i can't be mistaken for a Welshman when in Chester.
    Don't know about Yorkshire though. Maybe what to expect when mistaken for a Scotsman is not that bad at all? Can you be more specific?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So it is!!!

No. It's the same - as expected.

Steve.
    "after midnight"... Isn't it always "after" one midnight or another?
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    "after midnight"... Isn't it always "after" one midnight or another?
    It's a devious way to lull Welshmen into a false sense of security, i bet.

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but over here in trains, they used to announce the arrival at a station saying over the speaker system: "We are now approaching this-or-that station".
    As if we weren't approaching any of all the stations on a particular line the moment we set off from our station of departure.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    RTHOMAS:
    About the Second Sunday Camera Show that you asked about:...
    That's the stupidest bullsh*t I've ever read. That's like a grocery store manager telling me they are going to call the cops because I offered to buy a candy bar from someone in their parking lot. This isn't Cuba, stop being so paranoid. Even if there is a grain of truth to that story and they wanted to call the cops, it's not going to be some Rodney King incident. The most the police would ever do is tell you to conduct your private business elsewhere if you were actually committing a violation.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Being that the event was at a fire station, the people in charge might have had connections with the fire department. I've seen public safety folks have a pretty good bond within their staff even if they have slightly different jobs; they all endure some risk every day and they sometimes have some collective and reciprocal self-admiration for that. It is entirely possible that someone gets heckled for (I wouldn't call it bullying) for trying to do a transaction outside of the business plan that supports the well connected people in charge (and perhaps the fire station as well). It is also possible that the police were thinking a camera show was like a gun show, where it's almost always trouble when people conduct business outside of the show walls. I would bet most police have been to numerous gun shows both on and off duty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    The most the police would ever do is tell you to conduct your private business elsewhere if you were actually committing a violation.
    What is likely to actually happen is that the cop would come up to you and say, "I don't want to fill out the paperwork for such a stupid case. Would you do me a favor and just move along, please?"
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Being that the event was at a fire station, the people in charge might have had connections with the fire department.
    That may be, but I seriously doubt it in this case. The particular show in question is a recurring show that travels to other locations. I often went to the same show in Cincinnati, OH, and now in Miami, FL. It's the same vendors and the same management, just different towns. They rent locations for each event. Sometimes they're in armories, sometimes in church halls, sometimes in hotels, etc. And if they were outside of the event, it is outside of the "jurisdiction" of the event management. It is the property owner's decision. If I tried the same thing at their event here in Miami, the hotel management would be responsible for telling me to stop buying stuff in their lobby, if they even cared.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It still amazes me that each state can have different laws. Here in England the same laws apply to the whole country.

That's got to be easier to keep up with if you are a lawyer.

Steve.
    Yes, but nearly as lucrative.

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have variations on the law. Not sure why though.

Steve.
    In the case of Scotland, many of its laws were laid down and in place before the act of union in the 1700s and the legal system did not change. Under the law an English policeman can exercise his powers anywhere in England irrespective of which force he belongs to but has no power in Scotland (not sure about Wales). The same applies to a Scottish policeman, obviously.

Legal differences are quite marked. IIRC In Scotland you still can't be arrested witout a second policeman present to corroborate the eveidence of the arresting officer. Also we still have a verdict of not proven (a half way house between guilty and not guilty and not a particulary nice verdict to have haning over your - sort of we think you are guilty as hell but can' conclusively prove it). There are also differences in civil as well as criminal law. For example if you put an offer on a house and it is accepted by the vendor he is prohibited by law from accepting a higher offer (thus no gazumping). Also you are bound by law to follow through on the purchase and can be sued if you pull out at the last minute.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin