Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,079   Online: 924

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A story on photo bullying

Here's an article Life Hacker on being bullied while photographing.

http://lifehacker.com/5593080/why-ph...put-up-with-it

Enjoy.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You know, that's interesting, but I'd be careful following what amounts to legal advice from an article on a blog. Every jurisdiction is different. I just found out, listening to NPR, that in my home state of Illinois, recording a police officer in the course of duty is a felony, even if the police officer is in a public place. Other states have similar, though not as draconian, laws. Now, recording is apparently interpreted as video and audio recording, but you never know, especially as more digital cameras include video.

This is in my mind a horrible trend, and a deeply offensive, wrong-headed and ridiculous law, and I would hope it's barred by the Constitution. But ... if you are faced with a felony charge carrying a 4-11 year prison sentence, it would be hard to stand on principle and challenge it rather than accept a misdemeanor plea.

Anyway, the point is, every jurisdiction is different, and I wouldn't rely on this article. I also would not rush to accuse a police officer of "bullying" you unless you want to be in a world of trouble. Even though you are right.

-Laura

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just because it's in a law code doesn't make it Constitutional; The 1st Amendment trumps State law, every time. These sorts of laws are illegal but as long as they are on the books, cops are going to use them. If we don't protect our civil rights, we will lose them.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tac View Post
    Just because it's in a law code doesn't make it Constitutional; The 1st Amendment trumps State law, every time. These sorts of laws are illegal but as long as they are on the books, cops are going to use them. If we don't protect our civil rights, we will lose them.
    Absolutely. IANAL, but don't take state law at face value - it cannot override constitutional rights except in exceptional cases.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Here's an article Life Hacker on being bullied while photographing.

http://lifehacker.com/5593080/why-ph...put-up-with-it

Enjoy.
    I wrote my congressman support Rep Towns' proposal.

Shooter
    35mm
    Police, in general will not stop increasing their power until they 'own' all three capacities: legislative, judicial, enforcement. Excuses are sought by them in order to fabricate reasons to beat, humiliate, intimidate, essentially 'own' the 'perp' they corner. Whether defining new laws against picture taking (or anything else that forces them to be seen in clear daylight) they tenaciously hold onto their collective elitism in order to become master and lord. I am so afraid of police (and their 'users', like the management crowd at the Second Sunday show in Wayne, NJ who almost had me arrested for my mentioning interest in a El Nikkor that a patron had for sale two years ago) that I am not afraid, albeit through numbness. Police are supposed to be on society's leash but, in fact, fear has nullified that reality. Unenforced laws remain 'on the books' because that gives police 'reasons' to continue harassment. Photography is only too easy for them not to pass up. But, essentially, it is not only a battle against police malfeasance. It is also a battle of the grand support these actions receive from people most likely to benefit: conservatism in general, Attys General who wish to prevent states from having to pay lawsuits (legitimate or not), DAs who wish to enhance their careers, etc. I am too afraid NOT to post my address: David Lyga, 2003 Chestnut Street # 308, Phila, PA 19103. Land line: 215.569.4949 (Moderator, do what you must.)
    Last edited by David Lyga; 07-22-2010 at 07:54 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: additional information

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    like the management crowd at the Second Sunday show in Wayne, NJ who almost had me arrested for my mentioning interest in a El Nikkor that a patron had for sale two years ago
    That sounds odd... how can you be threatened with arrest for interest in an item for sale at a camera show? What happened?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    That sounds odd... how can you be threatened with arrest for interest in an item for sale at a camera show? What happened?
    You can be threatened with anything, it's only words. An actual action would be a totally different matter though.

Does sound a bit stupid though. I would have kept enquiring just to test it!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by tac View Post
    Okay. You go first. I'll visit you on weekends.

Yea, freedom's not free. But there's got to be more to the process than just violating the law on principle, then hoping for the best. I suppose if our political process were really "by and for the people," there'd be some redress to one's representatives in government, or the courts, or at least a more open-minded process. But it seems lately that the law enforcement/security/military communities are themselves a significant lobby.

As a friend of a friend overheard from a Texas Trooper, "a Police State's not a bad thing ... if you're the police."

~Joe

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin