Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,219   Online: 676

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    A great exercise is to mount the photos you like the most and to display them on your wall. Get those negatives and prints out of their boxes and into the light where they deserve to be!
    I agree completely. My little piece of cube land has proved to be a place I can hang some prints and view them several times a day. I peruse them for both pleasure and critique, seeing if they stand up on their own over the days.

A side benefit is anyone who enters the cube sees matted B&W photos on 3 of the walls. Kind of sets the mood I think. Some people actually get interested.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    A side benefit is anyone who enters the cube sees matted B&W photos on 3 of the walls. Kind of sets the mood I think. Some people actually get interested.
    You've lucky neighbours IMO . John.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know why I keep doing it. I can lose myself in the act of photographing but once I put the lens cap on and set the camera down I'm all alone. I hardly know what I'm doing. My equipment isn't worth mentioning. I don't develope my own photos. I've never taken a class. I'm not creating art or trying to express something. It's just photos - and color ones at that. I don't do it as a living. I've no aim to work professionally. I'm too much an amatuer for this board, too analog for that board, too much a purist for just about everyone. I haven't taken one photo of note, not one worth framing. I feel nothing but doubt and insecurity until the camera is in my hands, then I forget all the pain. I simply enjoy the process of making the best photos I can.

And that folks is the end of my whine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG anyte. You must be growing - I certainly feel like that just as I'm about to do better.
    juan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm
    why am I doing it? what is my style? what is my ultimate goal? why do I work so many hours a day and then spend the majority of my free money and free time to build up what seems an endless binder full of pages and pages of negatives?
    this was particularly brought to the forefront given an experience last night.
    Scooter, I don't think I answered any of your questions with my first post. As I look around my cube, I have 2 prints from 2002, 2 from 2003, and 4 or 5 from 2004. These were taken with 35mm, 4x5, and 8x10. Irregardless of the film format, I can see a noticeable change, one for the better, over the last couple years.

But I can also see I've gotten into a rut, in that the majority have been taken at a similar angle. Development of a style? - maybe. But now, I'm going to kick myself into breaking up what I see as a developing monotony. So a year from now, you should ask this question again, and we should talk about where we are at then.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    thats a great point alex. and I will make a note of doing that.
    its wonderful to read all these thought and opinions. some I agree with some I dont..... but all are wonderful to hear.
    its a strange feeling to have something in your life that equates to breathing.... a neccesity something that is needed to truly live, to truly exist. I have these things and photography in particular is a major dominating one.... but it is strange to be surrounded by people that dont understand or find it odd or out of place.... its an interesting thing to try and explain to them this neccesity to people..... I usually get frustrated and just wish to leave the conversation because of a lack of desire to explain or rationalize it to them etc. I have many an interaction with individuals such as this on what seems like a daily basis....
    ahh the joys of introverts and the pursuits that we embrace.
    ironically..... my photography has created an extroverted individual that comes out when I have my Kodak Retina around my neck and am walking around the city..... I talk to strangers and inquire about who they are in hopes that I can understand and perhaps even capture "them" on film.
    that was a bit of a diversion from the given theme..... but merely a thought verbalized.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The kid in the water had a curiosity for what you were doing. So curious he was he paddled all the way to where you were and had a conversation with you and asked a lot of questions until he was satisfied. "The he asked Why do you do it if you are not making money at it"

OHH well. It is the most popular sickness of the western hemisphere. We don't know it is s sickness because we were brought up that way. I can hear the voice of my Dad saying to me that very same thing. In other words what is being said is "You are a fool to be in waist deep water if you are not making money" So you ask yourself Why I am I doing it? Why am I doing it?

That is the question you need to answer in a true way. Until then your self doubt will be always present. This may sound silly but it is not. Self doubt arises from unasked and unanswered questions. So my suggestion is that you really try to answer that question. It will not be in one installment but in many installments. Everytime you go out to make photographs make sure you want know why you are doing it. In time you will know so strongly the question of why am I doing it will be a thing of the past.

Two books that are great to read and that have helped me a lot:

_Art and Fear, Observations On The Perils (and Rewards) of ART MAKING
    _Trust the process, An Artist's Guide to Letting Go

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Art & Fear truly is a great book. My copy is highlighted and underlined all over.

Scooter, I also feel the extrovert come out when I have a camera in my hands; sometimes out of necessity (for the shot), sometimes out of true curiosity for the person on the other side of the lens. It might take me a couple of rolls to warm up when I'm out shooting, but dang it, by the seventh roll I'll be the most talkative guy around.

Actually, talkative is not the word, since most of the time I just listen to people talk about themselves, their lives, dreams and hopes. It's really something when complete strangers open up to and allow you to photograph the moment. I shot a couple of rolls of an old lady (who reminded me of someone very close to me) who laughed, cried, and everything in between while she told me her life's story. I'll try to print those shots tomorrow and post them soon (not that anyone asked, see previous post :-)

Sorry for going off topic, and thanks for letting me rant all over this thread.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    andre, I like the off topic comments. They seem fitting. heh.
    similiar to your story I had an experience with an old homeless black man here in downtown austin. I spent nearly a good hour with him talking and taking shots. we drank a cup of coffee talked about his time in the military during vietnam (he was in the 82nd same as my father ironically) he talked about his kids and how they are successful, about how he doesnt talk to them.... but here about them through his Ex Wife. It was such an interesting experience and now those particular photos evoke that memory..... and more importantly I feel like the photos capture that comfort he felt in talking to me.... that welcomeness etc.
    I posted one of the shots in the standard gallery.....
    link here

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by juan
    Welcome to APUG anyte. You must be growing - I certainly feel like that just as I'm about to do better.
    juan
    Thank you. That's a very nice thought, one I'll try to keep in mind. You think once you've reached adulthood you never have to experience growing pains again but I guess that isn't so.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin