Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,625   Online: 1017

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I'll put on my tinfoil hat on and say that it probably has more to do with maintaining a general level of fear in the population.
    I would believe that if police harassment of harmless amateur photographers was commonplace in the whole western hemisphere. Fact is I only hear these stories from the US, UK and possible Australia. I hope these stories are not an indication of things to come here but at the moment in Austria I can photograph whatever I want in public space.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    Fact is I only hear these stories from the US, UK and possible Australia. I hope these stories are not an indication of things to come here but at the moment in Austria I can photograph whatever I want in public space.
    As can most of us in the UK, the US and Australia. All we hear on the news is reports of the rare incidents where a photographer was wrongly harrassed or detained. We don't hear reports of the hundreds of thousands of times someone takes a picture in public including a government building, police officer, bridge, etc. with no problems encountered.

Obviously these events shouldn't happen at all but there is a certain amount of paranoa and hysteria involved to the extent that some US residents say they will not travel to the UK because of it and likewise for some UK residents to the US. This is complete nonesense and is blowing the problem up out of all proportion.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    I've been challenged by cops when photographing in the middle of a Florida swamp.
    juan
    Did you get a model release from Pogo?
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That tears it! I'm packing up the Yashica and heading downtown! I've been meaning to do a photo series on architecture ever since the new court house was built. This just reminds me of it.

But, first, I'll print out a copy of the Constitution, fold it up and stick it in my back pocket before I go.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    That tears it! I'm packing up the Yashica and heading downtown! I've been meaning to do a photo series on architecture ever since the new court house was built. This just reminds me of it.

But, first, I'll print out a copy of the Constitution, fold it up and stick it in my back pocket before I go.

I have a Federal Courthouse nearby, just waiting to be photographed.

If DARPA developed an Invisibility Device, they would not have to
    worry about buildings being photographed.

There Is An iPhone App for the Constitution, no folding necessary.

Ron

From The Long Island Of New York, and the
    Long Island @ Large Format Group, right here on APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I want the Constitution on paper so I can roll it up like a newspaper and slap those bad little doggies on the behind with it!

Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I want the Constitution on paper so I can roll it up like a newspaper and slap those bad little doggies on the behind with it!

I see your point.
    The iPhone could be used to photograph the building.
    So it would only create another problem for the security personnel.
    Then they would have to Taser me twice, I guess ?

Ron

Shooter
    Medium Format

If you're reasonable with the cops, you probably won't find much trouble. However, I'm sure at least one photographer has tried the "show them the Constitution" trick and been accused of being a terrorist/Communist/smartass for "waving that piece of paper around".
    Pentax: 6x7 MLU
    Olympus: OM-1n
    Graflex: Miniature (2x3) Speed Graphic

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not only that, the iPhone can instantly transmit that photograph across the internet. Even if the Rent-a-Cops demanded that you erase the photo and you were stupid enough to do it, the damage could already be done. By that time the photo has already been sent to Afghanistan... PLUS photos of the Rent-a-Cops, themselves, as they run out to harass you, could be just a second behind.

By the time Sheriff Roscoe P. Coletrane and Deputy Barney Phife even figured out what had happened, let alone do anything about it, ole' Osama Bin Laden already has the information he wants.
    Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Does it give you the un-conditional right to do that?!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin