Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,289   Posts: 1,535,369   Online: 805

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I asked what was the biggest threat--a middle aged guy from South Dakota with a small camera or an Arabic guy with a big heavy suitcase?
    Both the same. i.e. most probably zero.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I almost pushed the Chicago Transit Authority guy on to the rail who tried to tell me i can't photograph Chicago's Subway once. I told him I paid to get in the station and for the ride. He threatened me and my friends about calling the cops, because "No Press Allowed", Press? What?, apparently we need to wear those "I'm a tourist shirt". I didn't leave, but I try to not take as many photos while he was standing there staring at us, that is, until the next station. Same thing in New Jersey btw on PATH.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can recall a few years ago when getting ready to board Amtrak's Auto Train in Lorton VA I was asked what I was taking photos of, I replied that with this being the longest rail platform in the world with the longest passenger train in the world standing there it just begged to be photographed. The Amtrak woman was really great and told me that I was probably in the best place I was going to be able to get to legally to get my photo and asked that I please not try to exit the platform by hopping the fence for a better photo, and she also asked that I not directly photograph the running gear of the train. I was fine with that, I assume that people have tried to jump the fence for a better photo in the past, and photographing the running gear might make people uncomfortable. She was more looking out for my safety than trying to thwart a terrorist plot. After a few laughs I mentioned that if I wanted photos of a boogie plate assembly I could get one at the local rail museum, and that the last time I was told not to photograph a train I was in Russia she said that it is kind of sad because she could remember that taking photos standing in front of the train was a big part of the trip for some people, and now they are afraid to do it. She also said that once someone does take that photo and others see that it is alright then people start lining up to do it, yeah Amtrak, at least at that station anyway.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Go, Maryland!

While I wouldn't call it a decisive victory, at least a heavy blow was dealt to corrupt cops and prosecutors trying to lock up a guy who filmed the cop during a traffic stop. Nice to see that at least the legal system put an end to this travesty.

Result for people photographing in that jurisdiction: cops can not expect privacy while they act in public. Photographers are allowed to take pictures of them, the felony wiretapping charge won't stick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    While I wouldn't call it a decisive victory, at least a heavy blow was dealt to corrupt cops and prosecutors trying to lock up a guy who filmed the cop during a traffic stop. Nice to see that at least the legal system put an end to this travesty.

Result for people photographing in that jurisdiction: cops can not expect privacy while they act in public. Photographers are allowed to take pictures of them, the felony wiretapping charge won't stick.
    One thing my state did right. so far...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just found another one. It's a few months old actually, but the website I found it on just had a link posted this week.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/28/ny...bout.html?_r=2
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

All your Stonehenge pictures are belong to us?

One step forward, two steps back .... Look at this and decide, whether we should laugh or cry about this.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hrmm... I have photographs taken of Stonehenge some thirty years ago - Is some numpty quango going to claim copyright should I publish those images...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This was discussed a few years ago. I though NT had backed down from this and only bans photography from inside its buildings.

They cannot own copyright by default. All they can do is tell you not to take photographs and ask you to leave if you do. Any photographs you do take whilst on their land are obviously still yours and if you choose to use them commercially the NT will need to pursue you for damages if they think they have suffered some sort of loss by you breaching a contract (conditions of entry).

I expect they would not bother and if they did, probably fail.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin