Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,709   Posts: 1,482,886   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Tired of anti-digital threads

Hi all,

The last several weeks I see the number of anti-digital posts increasing rapidly. Although I often subscribe the arguments against digital, I'm getting fed up with these threads. They appear everywhere, often in threads which started about something completely different.

AFAIK we are on an Analogue Photography Users Group. Lets stick to that, and not make APUG an anti-digital forum. Lets stop waisting our energy on digital, and start making beautiful prints. That's the only way we can assure film, paper and chemistry to be there still in twenty years or more.

The arguments pro and con digital will prove wrong or right within a few years. Lets not waiste our time, and get into the darkroom.

Just my opinion ;-)

Gilbert
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In other words, lets just shut up and get our work done.

I'll second that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Gilbert!

I think everyone knows you are right (myself included), but this is not an ncommon thing to happen. Think about any group that feels threatened by another seemingly more powerful (or in some cases...more vocal) group. The group that feels threatened will wail, and speak out loudly against the other group. It's a natural reaction!

Yep, we're not solving any problems by the debate, or by lashing out against the other *group*, but it happens because like I said in the other thread, we feel that fright or flight thing and it hits us in the same way as if our survival is threatened. We not longer battle the elements or wild beasts, so we battle the things that *feel* threatening. It's just how we are!

So, yes, we could just focus on what we all love (the art of the analog process), but that would be an inward focus and sometimes the big old world crashes our party! (Bad world! )

So let's be gentle with the ravers (sometimes that includes me) :o because eventually we all get back to the business at hand!

Jeanette
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think anti-digital threads are good, but we probably don't need them on APUG. Better to post the anti-digital threads on photo.net, dpreview.com, luminouslandscape.com, and such, where they might do some good.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Anyone who works in large format gelatin silver, platinum/palladium, carbon or any of a dozen other non-digital photographic printing methods should be thrilled that traditional processes are being abandonded. That will make our work all the more esoteric and sought after. As long as they keep making film, I say "Bring it on!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "post the anti-digital threads on photo.net, dpreview.com, luminouslandscape.com"

Good luck, they will usually be removed in some cases immediately with no justification or explanation. Do not rock the digital boat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photographically speaking, we seem to live in times of great change and upheaval. This, to my mind, causes a lot of uncertainty both among analogue and digital photographers. The former because they worry about possibly missing the bus and the latter because they are faced with a rather steep learning curve and considerable investment and often great depreciation of their cherished new cameras and stuff. Both groups are concerned whether they have taken the right decision. Result: an almost allergic reaction to any criticism on both sides of the argument.
    If this criticism is short-sighted I think it is best to ignore it. If the advocates of the brave new digi-world have sound arguments, listen to them as there's no harm in that.
    However, at the end of the day, it's up to the individual photographer to decide and not to look back. The only question is....are you strong enough to enjoy what photography is all about -glorious light what else?- without unnecessary distractions.
    Keep looking for that decisive moment.
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argentic

AFAIK we are on an Analogue Photography Users Group. Lets stick to that, and not make APUG an anti-digital forum. Lets stop waisting our energy on digital, and start making beautiful prints.
    Hear, Hear .......
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aye Clogz too ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes i am tired of anti digital threads, tired of the digital claims, tired of trying to explain the differences, tired of trying to explain that film in and of itself has a personality that is integral to the image, tired of my computer, tired from too much pasta for diner, tired of waiting for some fine apugger to let me know they have a freezer full of kodak pro 1000 that they'd love to sell me, i'm just plain tired and I'm going to bed.

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin