Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,466   Online: 827

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First, I'd take a break from photography. Do something else for a couple of months. Learn to play a musical instrument or something. Then, when you feel as though you want to take pictures again, work in projects. Start by doing research: learn something about your subject before you start trying to capture or define it. Decide what you want the project to produce: a pile of prints you can show to friends, perhaps, or a portfolio you want to exhibit, or maybe a section of a website, or your family Christmas card. Then work on the project until it's done. Directed effort toward a purpose you have clearly defined can often be more satisfying than just stumbling around looking for something undefined, just "special".

Hope it helps!

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

lmn

Shooter
    35mm
    "Note to reader: I'm not technically proficient enough to insert a .wav file with the little violin playing in the background of the text, so forgive me...."

Such good advice here. I would just add that while you may have temporarily lost your passion for photography, your sense of humor is soundly intact. You mentioned books. One that has me "seeing" the world differently is How to Be an Explorer of the World by Keri Smith.

Take a break and take care!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Photographer's Block" is what I call it. There are times when I feel I should want to get up, grab my camera(s) and disappear off into the countryside but it's warm in bed, cold outside and it'll wait for another weekend when the weather's a bit warmer and I didn't have such a heavy night the night before..........

The way I've tackled this is the past:

1. Get some inspiration. Check out the interweb and examine some work done by photographers you don't know
    2. Set yourself a goal. Photographs from every week of the year, photographs of all your pets, relatives, try colour, try mono...
    3. Make a commitment with a friend to go and photograph somewhere you haven't been before
    4. Choose some gear you haven't used for a while and re-familiarise yourself with it

It's horrible when your "get up and go" has "got up and gone" or you just don't seem to be able to find the reasons anymore. But these things will pass and, with a bit of positive effort, you can be your own catalyst.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin