Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,626   Online: 888

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    About the hobby thing -- when people ask me if photography is a hobby, I reply it is a passion. Perhaps that would be another indicator that one is a photographer.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is your definition of a photographer a gwc or someone who thinks they are a photographer but only is a gwc or someone who is serious about composing a photograph, a commercial photographer or a paparazzi?

I call myself a photographer to separate myself from the terrorists and the social-sexual perverts who call themselves photographers.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    It's not when you call yourself a photographer, It's when people who are photographers call you one.
    So... when do they call themselves photographers? When do you call someone else a photographer?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a B&W of my friend the Nikonian taken with my digital p&s. He's moved away. I've decided to get the shot printed and to display it. When someone asks who he is I will reply "that's so and so the photographer" ~because that's his dream.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Used to do it professionally (got paid for it) for many, many years. Now I do something else (framing) in my semi retirement, as I just couldn't face another wedding or Debutante ball! In those days I called myself a photographer, because that was all I did.
    Someone asked the other day if I was still doing weddings, to which I hastily replied no. Her friend quipped, Oh I didn't tell you, Tony is no longer a photographer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Defining photography and photographer is difficult because what we do can be motivated by so many different intentions.

Fine art photographers look at the same subject that non-photographers do, and they see more... they see an opportunity to create fine art. But of course, this does not mean that the only photography is fine art photography.

Too many different motivations and expectations! You have to define it for yourself. If your product is original then you will find your own definition.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don't know.

I'm a memory maker.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Fine art photographers look at the same subject that non-photographers do, and they see more... they see an opportunity to create fine art.
    Which occupies them such that they no longer see the rest. The rest, i.e the full experience anyone with an open, not already filled-in approach, gets to enjoy.
    So how, "more"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Which occupies them such that they no longer see the rest. The rest, i.e the full experience anyone with an open, not already filled-in approach, gets to enjoy.
    So how, "more"?
    What could possibly make doing both impossible?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    When you can spell it. lol
    Last edited by Eric Rose; 08-14-2010 at 10:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin