Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,639   Posts: 1,668,456   Online: 724
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11
    Vaughn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Humboldt Co.
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    4,958
    Images
    40
    I introduced my boys to a little photo history last night. I have a copy of Mark Klett's One City/Two Visions. It has Muybridge's 360 degree panorama sequence of San Francisco on one side (it is an accordian style book) taken in 1878 with large glass plate negs, and then Mark's rephotographing of the same on the other, taken in 1990. The book lays out about ten feet long or so. It was fun. A little history never hurts!

    Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    5,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    By the way, I compiled some PDF files of the "History of Photography" pages, to keep as a reference. If any one is interested, send me a PM with your e-mail address, and I will e-mail them. Please note you will need to be able to receive some 23 MB in your mailbox though...
    Please also note that you would be violating copyright by doing so.

  3. #13
    Marco B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,982
    Images
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Please also note that you would be violating copyright by doing so.
    Well, yes, as you saw that was before I noticed these texts seem to have been extracted (maybe with permission, who knows?) from a published book...

    Anyway, I think most APUG'ers can source the website or buy the seemingly far more comprehensive published book as a replacement for my proposition... still an interesting read.
    My website

    "The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

    "I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

    "Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    5,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Well, yes, as you saw that was before I noticed these texts seem to have been extracted (maybe with permission, who knows?) from a published book...
    Even if not, your PDFs are extracted from a published internetsite.
    You just can't collect stuff at random and redistribute it. As a creator, photographer, you really should know that!


    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Anyway, I think most APUG'ers can source the website or buy the seemingly far more comprehensive published book as a replacement for my proposition... still an interesting read.
    Indeed.
    And there's nothing wrong with providing the link.

  5. #15
    Marco B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,982
    Images
    169
    Well, not surprisingly, it turns out my local library had a copy of the 1997 edition of the book...

    So now I have something to look forward too for the coming weeks!

    I really like Naomi Rosenblum's writing style. Rich and eloquent, but very readable. As expected, there is quite a bit more info in the original publication, not surprising considering it is quite a bible at 695 pages. Still, it is quite compact in the light of its page number. Anyway, enough to read...

    One nice anecdote from the book I missed in the web pages, was a section about stereo photography in chapter one, where a mister Oliver Wendell Holmes is described who, at the dawn of the new stereoscopic photography in the 1850's seems to have suggested:

    "that in the future the image would become more important than the object itself and would in fact make the object disposable"

    which I feel is both a highly prophetic and ludicrous statement at the same time...

    Marco
    My website

    "The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

    "I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

    "Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    5,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    One nice anecdote from the book I missed in the web pages, was a section about stereo photography in chapter one, where a mister Oliver Wendell Holmes is described who, at the dawn of the new stereoscopic photography in the 1850's seems to have suggested:

    "that in the future the image would become more important than the object itself and would in fact make the object disposable"

    which I feel is both a highly prophetic and ludicrous statement at the same time...
    About two years ago, Marco, a leading Dutch newspaper ran an article (on the front page, no less) about a guy from a company who believed (and had the newspaper write down and publish) that he thought the internet would make knowledge and know how redundant. We wouldn't need any of it, because we could look up all we needed on the internet.

    Absolutely ludicrous. But, i fear, also prophetic...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin