Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,651   Online: 779

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Juried shows

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have a problem with it. I've entered a number of juried competitions, and have been rejected (a lot) selected (enough to keep me happy) and even won a competition a couple of years ago. The resulting shows have been generally, good, and I've never felt that my work was hanging around a lot of inferior work. Especially when a curator/photographer/gallerist juror might find some resonance with my work. It's not an ideal way to view work, I'll grant you, but it's made it easier for organizations to hire really good jurors to view a lot of pictures, and make their selections in a reasonable time frame.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm afraid this is just the reality of today's world. And as one on the receiving/organizing end of some juried art shows, I'm well aware of some of the advantages of the digital process. A couple of the larger photography shows in this area sometimes receive more than a thousand submissions. Even when the work is only hand delivered, that's a formidable exercise in logistics. This is only a sampling of one show, but last year, one show that accepts digital or physical submissions ran a little analysis that suggested your odds of getting in were about 10 or 15% better with a physical submission. But as with every other parameter, that might vary wildly between judges (or perhaps making entry digital only levels the playing field.)

The whole business of jurying and judging shows is just about guaranteed to leave at least some people unhappy. In both photography and painting, some judges are mostly interested in the concept and composition, others are awed by technique, and still others grumble about "bad presentation." "You guys should run a class or demonstration on framing" etc. Think of it as a lottery, but you have to bring a picture!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    The alternative would be slides of the images
    No, the alternative would be to look at the pictures. In living color or living black and white. To stand before the actual work, not a x by x pixel version. Logistically more challenging? Yes. But some things are worth the effort.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The easy solution, then, is don't enter. That will free up the spot you may have had for someone who isn't going to bitch about the way the work is viewed by the juror.
    Greg,
    I wouldn't call being concerned about how work is presented bitching. These shows would all be better if every photographer but strong effort into how their work actually looks.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The easy solution, then, is don't enter. That will free up the spot you may have had for someone who isn't going to bitch about the way the work is viewed by the juror.
    I'm not bitching, I just think it's a curious process to choose something from a representation of it. I like real things that I can touch and experience and am actually shocked by this much acceptance of virtuality. I respect your opinion about it and am happy to hear it. Are your prints better than your scans?

DW, I'm not unhappy, I would rather just get together with 3 or 4 people and look at each other's prints, don't need a contest to help me enjoy what I do...Evan Clarke
    Last edited by eclarke; 08-31-2010 at 12:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have never entered a juried show by submitted photos, however, my Wife does glass and copper sculptures, and has entered several shows by photo only. We're photographers, and hopefully, and make digital photos that represent our work fairly accurately. People that are not photographers often make really bad photos of their work. I'm sure many good pieces are rejected due to these bad photos.

That said, I would rather enter the actual piece of work, which is the only way I have done it so far.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Its obvious who in this thread has ZERO exhibition experience. Those of us who do know that juried shows almost never (and never have) used the original prints for judging entries. Before digital, they demanded slides. That meant taking pictures of your prints using slide film and the results never looked as good as the original. Its done digital now because slide jurying is a logistical nightmare. You have to keep track of who the slides belong to so you can mail them back and before the jury can see them they have to be loaded in slide projector trays. Its much more efficient for them to ask for a CD or email of JPEGS and frankly, having done both slides and digital submissions, the digital ones are MUCH truer in appearance to the originals than slides ever were.

Like another poster said, this is how its done, don't like it, then get out of the way of the professionals. Your narrow-minded bigotry is only hurting YOUR career, no one else cares.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I expect that the experienced judges are reasonably good at interpreting the digital facsimiles of analogue prints. By that, I mean that a good judge will be able to tell whether the original photograph is likely to reveal more/have more positive qualities than the digital image of it that they see.

If these juried shows require that accepted work be printed to be displayed, I would expect that the real challenge would be lousy digital prints made subsequently from digital images reviewed and accepted by judges.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Its obvious who in this thread has ZERO exhibition experience.

Like another poster said, this is how its done, don't like it, then get out of the way of the professionals. Your narrow-minded bigotry is only hurting YOUR career, no one else cares.
    Wow... Thanks for straightening the rest of us out.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 08-31-2010 at 01:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Its obvious who in this thread has ZERO exhibition experience.
    Chris-
    If you are going to be insulting and attempt to speak with such authority, please know what you are talking about.

There are plenty of shows that accept, even require, physical prints.

I will now provide my proof.

Last I saw, all with a year or so, these shows required physical prints:

Philadelphia Sketch Club annual photo competition
    Perkins Center of Art annual photo competition
    Center for the Creative Arts annual competition

Yes, they are local or regional shows. You've likely never heard of them, fine.
    But they do, to use an examples just off the top of my head, show why you should not be so damn sure of yourself.

If there is anyone here showing "narrow-minded bigotry" it is, well, you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin