Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,151   Online: 827

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Juried shows

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Look, I'm telling you how its done. Don't like it? Too bad. The art world isn't going to bow to a bunch of whining amateurs.

The hate toward digital of some of the people here makes all photographers look like fools who only care about process. That is precisely why photography was not accepted as art for so long and why some still refuse to accept it as art.

Like it or not digital printing processes are here to stay and they're fully accepted in the world of the professional artist. You don't have to use them. Hell, I still shoot film for 100% of my work. You can use any processes you want, but when you constantly rundown people who use digital you make only YOURSELF look bad. Curators and gallery directors have no time for people who have to talk bad about how someone else works to try and elevate their own work. It makes you look like a nasty backstabber, and no one wants to deal with that type of person. If your work is good, it'll stand out no matter what others are doing. If it sucks, then no amount of badmouthing digital users will make your work suck any less.

I joined APUG because I like to shoot film and wanted to talk to other film users. I have no need to fight a crusade against digital. I'm too busy making and selling my work for such silliness.
    Chris-
    Your response, quoted above, was to me. Therefore, again, you are speaking without knowing what you are talking about.

Here's where you are wrong:

#1: I am a professional photographer, one who is a so-far proud survivor in a declining industry (photojournalism) in which I make 100% of my living with a camera. (So don't say I am an amateur. If you want to say I am a whiner, go ahead, but understand that is obscenely insulting in what should be a reasonable discussion).

#2 I love and use digital daily as a professional photographer, and have since switching over for work 10 years ago (So don't say I'm 'constantly running down people who use digital.' You are creating this argument on your own.)

#3 I said digital submissions are the norm in today's world. We agree on this, but you continue to act like I say the opposite is true. (See post #2 of this trainwreck.)

#4 No one is arguing with the opinions expressed here. Everyone has a big problem with the haughty, condescending and mean-spirited tone you have taken.

We have something in common, we both use film for our art, and we both love film. Please consider we all have this in common on APUG, and it is your tone, not anyone else being argumentative, that is the only issue pushing this to 40+ posts.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I emailed the juror with the question...
    You mean you didn't write a letter and mail it?

I'm not busting your balls, here -- I am a HUGE believer in analog and the beauty of the hand-made, wet print and I very much respect your obvious love of it, too.

I'm just suggesting that this process is for selection only, and that it would be beneficial to look at it from the jurors' perspective - they need to be efficient in their work with so many artists taking part. Short of sending the actual print that will be exhibited - not an option I think anyone would take - there's some sort of leap of faith in the selection process.

I wouldn't let this stop you from showing the fruits of your hard work, nor from spreading the word about film photography with this opportunity...eye on the prize, and all that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris may not be the most polite contributor to this conversation, but his post does present the facts of most juried exhibitions of any size. Our art guild has been holding an annual juried show for 11 years now, and I have been involved in all but the first one. We are still small and regional enough that most of the entries are the physical works of art, and the jurors appreciate that fact. However, we do have members who live in the States or elsewhere and cannot easily submit their originals, so we accept digital images and slides as well. Yes, many of the digital and slide submissions are poor representations of the art, and they put the artist at a disadvantage. But there is no acceptable alternative. Shipping art work for the purpose of jurying is expensive and impractical, so no one would participate if they had to do it. Slides, photos, or digital images are the only real option. In a large show, requiring all submissions to be digital levels the playing field for all entries and makes the task of the jurors much more practical.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    You mean you didn't write a letter and mail it?

I'm not busting your balls, here -- I am a HUGE believer in analog and the beauty of the hand-made, wet print and I very much respect your obvious love of it, too.

I'm just suggesting that this process is for selection only, and that it would be beneficial to look at it from the jurors' perspective - they need to be efficient in their work with so many artists taking part. Short of sending the actual print that will be exhibited - not an option I think anyone would take - there's some sort of leap of faith in the selection process.

I wouldn't let this stop you from showing the fruits of your hard work, nor from spreading the word about film photography with this opportunity...eye on the prize, and all that.
    Touche. Unfortunately, the US postal service is going through the same adjustment to the virtual world as analog photography, there's some speculation that they won't survive this year. This is not a digital vs analog thing, I now realize that large juried shows are pretty much like PSA competitions or art fairs with tons of submissions. I was surprised at this because here in Wisconsin the events are pretty small and this digital submission is sort of new for a local type event. It also explains why there is questionable work hanging at some shows. Tough job for jurors and I'm sure that those who actually get to see the shows have a little anticipation..Cheers..Evan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is my take on this issue as someone who has been on both sides of the fence as a submitter and reviewer/juror:
    You submit your slides/digital file - much easier on the artist (postage/shipping$$$$$$); much easier on the reviewer/juror (easier to view slides/digital than handle actual artwork).
    If your slide/digital file is crap, no matter how good your original artwork is, you get rejected (I could tell you many horror stories of how artists think some odd presentation is cool).
    If your slides/digital file looks good and you get accepted, you send in your work. Now if your work does not live up to what the slide/digital file presented, you work is rejected. As a reviewer/juror I have seen this happen on numerous occasions.

Most jurried competitions I have either entered or read about have this final step stated in their published info. It only makes sense.

Now, as an analog artist am I against digital presentation for jurried submissions? No. Having had to review many portfolios and having jurried shows I know that it makes more sense... as long as you have that final disclaimer.

My $0.02 worth.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The one juried show I entered, all of the slides were lost. One entrant sent original artwork, though, and was traumatized and incredulous that her hard work (original assemblies, one-of-a-kind stuff which would take significant effort to *try* and replicate) was simply gone.

I wouldn't send original prints off. It limits how much distribution your work can get, it's expensive, and they're likely going to scan whatever you send them so that they can share it with the jury via email or in an LCD-projected slideshow,anyhow.

Digital is simpler, and a direct scan of one of my negs (because I'm that kind of photographer; not everyone can scan the neg...) gives a much better impression than a slide or dupe. AND it's cheaper.

I agree with Chris Crawford that there's a knee-jerk anti-digital undertone to this thread, and many others on APUG, and it set the initial round of condescension in play. Like him, I shoot film because I like to, not because I need to lord a supposed superiority of medium over anyone, or because I'm infatuated with a process rather than a result. Mind you, I'm a mediocre and quite amateur photographer, not a pro or even a good photographer by any means. But the sentiment still bothers me, for what it's worth to anyone here.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi, I did 10 years of digital along side of my film photography. Digital prints frequently don't come close to their web representations...EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Please see the APUG post:

Well done Bill Spears - B&W Magazine (UK)

From the press release,

"Black & White Photography is the only magazine which caters specifically for photographers working in black & white. The competition accepted entries from digital and film photographers but entries had to be supplied as prints."

[Emphasis is mine. -Ken]

Not exactly a local or regional juried exhibit. Larger than that. But still, not every judging venue appears to see the need to look only at scans of the submitted artwork. And I'll bet that just about everyone involved with this competition are professionals earning the bulk of their income from photography.

Ken

P.S. Congratulations to Bill...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin