Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,311   Online: 1043

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Juried shows

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Juried shows

I'm posting this to harvest a few opinions about a method for selecting a juried show. There is an organization in Milwaukee called COPA (Coalition of Photographic Arts) which has sent notices around for submissions to a juried print show which will attract entrants from surrounding states, The juror is a curator from the Museum of Modern Photography. The hitch is that they will choose the work for a print show from digital web images!! Opinions on this procedure please...Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My opinion? It's a lousy way to put together a show. But it is standard practice in a world gone over to digital. Cheap and efficient.

Given that a lot of works today stand merely on the presence of their massive size I'm almost surprised it has taken hold. Shows often include a warning in the guidelines that they will remove images juried in if they do not stand up, technically, at least, in real physical printed form.

Here's what the juror of a recent show in my area wrote of the practice, from the reviewer's perspective:

"...as is always the case with a juried show, there is the frustrating fact that one cannot see
    the actual objects. Craft is part of every art and it’s hard to discern when one is looking at pictures
    of photographs on a computer screen. Come delivery of the actual works at installation time, every
    juror may find that they misjudged some work’s materiality, scale, quality and ambition; that’s
    just part of the show."

A pragmatic, honest viewpoint - not necessarily what I would accept should I ever jury a show. And I think it is interesting that the juror chooses to say this is "always" the case. Because, of course, that is not true, nor does it have to be...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Frequently a juror selects images that work together and are not necessarily all the best of the submissions. Different jurors have different tastes in what they consider a strong image worthy of display. Email submissions are more convenient but not better than seeing the real thing. Many juried shows are fund raisers for the organization and digital submissions eliminate the need for storing, repackaging and returning rejected pieces. They don't need standards for containers and the correct return postage. Also the juror can be in another city and never see the actual photographs. I guess it's best to carefully check out the sponsor and purpose of the show.

On the other hand it's easier to submit entries especially if you want to enter for several shows at different locations with overlapping deadlines.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I'm just up in the air about submitting because a few years ago I banished all digital stuff from my house, scanners, cameras etc. and really don't have any method to submit or do I want to waste time that could be spent in my darkroom. They have had this event before but not with somebody of museum stature to jury it, I'm surprised (uneducated in the current process) that a museum curator would do this...EC

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Why be so rigid about it?

People digitize their images HERE for perusal and commentary...so why not do it to help analog photography reach a wider appreciative audience?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The alternative would be slides of the images, and I don't think that is any better of a way to select images for a show than digital.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    First and foremost, analog photography reaches an audience when somebody sees the print or negative, what we see here on the forum is digital photography AKA web images, the show and this forum are separate and unrelated venues. I'm pretty sure that most of the submissions for the show will be digital prints and more color than B&W. I think that hanging a real physical print show takes a giant leap of faith that the prints will be true to a web image and surprised that the particular juror will do it. I have only made submissions with actual prints (twice this year) and the digital submission surprises me. I don't develop any opinions about the stuff posted in the gallery here except that the subject matter is pleasing, you can't tell anything about the poster's ability to print. Usually the prints I get to see which I've seen digitized for the forum are way better or worse than the image. I'm not being rigid and I posted this to see the viewpoints...Thanks..Evan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am concerned about this very thing right now. I recently entered my first juried "contest" - no results yet - and I sent prints because I was allowed to and because I really thought that much of the impact of the photographs would be lost if only viewed on the web. Ultimately though, the images were scanned by the administrators and it is the scanned images on the web that will be what the jury will make their selections from.

I suppose it was a little naive of me to think that if I were to send prints, than the prints would be the medium that the judges would see and 'judge from', but there you go...you learn something every day. I am not too hopeful that my images would be selected in any case, but now that I've seen the scans I don't even think about it anymore. I'll just consider myself lucky if any of my images are chosen.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I emailed the juror with the question and the reply was that all juried shows are done by web viewing with the hope that prints are up to snuff. The response also said that the idea of the image (not photograph) was more important than craft. My question is... Why should shows even have actual prints and not shown on monitors? Why not marry a web picture of a spouse instead of a real person? Why not eat a web image of a fish instead of the real thing? Why visit Yosemite when you can see it on Youtube? Is the idea more important than the total experience?...Evan Clarke

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The easy solution, then, is don't enter. That will free up the spot you may have had for someone who isn't going to bitch about the way the work is viewed by the juror.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin