Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,980   Online: 978

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    Jorge -

Good point. Although for me it is frustrating because it boggles my mind that anyone PAYING for "fine art" would be satisfied with poorly made crap. That we are now in a world where only the "content" counts and NEVER the craftmanship.

And even the content is a joke.

They recently awarded an MFA here to someone who had, allegedly, spent 3 years working on her thesis.

It was a joke. It looked like it was all shot in about 2 weeks, with maybe a couple of rolls being used. The work was sort of like Cindy Sherman Sans Any Idea Of What She Is Trying To Do. Just this person in a house they just bought. Honestly little more than snapshots.

And it was all very basic hotlight or "backyard at noon" lighting. Everything was at f8 or f11 (hey, why focus?), and it was simply large color prints that looked almost lurid.

And sadly, I am sure this woman will soon be VERY VERY rich....

Skilless, but rich.

I understand Robert, I also feel often times bewildered by some of the things that are called art. Of course there is also my favorite, what I call "elitist art" done by people like, Dr. Bob mentions, who have influence, or a friend in high places or rich parents. They create art that is an absolute crap that nobody understands, buys or would be caught dead with it in theri house but yet is hailed as the second comming of Christ by the art critics.

As Clay says, better to do your own thing, enjoy it......and of course there is always wedding photography if one wants to make some money...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    We are all a bundle of experiences, emotions, memories, and dreams. If I can take from this bundle a cohesive statement that helps me understand this bundle I have begun to create art. If, as I continue to make new and better statements, you begin to understand me, us or something larger I am beginning to succeed.
    Well said!!!! That's probably one of the best descriptions of the process that I have ever read.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    But to many in the "white glove set" (a term I heard used by Jack Dykinga when I met him....and an appropriate one since I also heard a local photo prof say Dykinga was "too commercial" to be an artist... :roll: ), would chastise anyone for even thinking the two could be even seen in the same room!
    Well, I guess I will never be considered an artist by these people (which is fine with me); Jack Dykinga is one of those photographers I admire the most (as well as Joe Cornish).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am a huge Dykinga fan myself. In part because my landscapes SUCK. I am just not a landscape person. Jack on the other hand is a freakin' genius with his left-handed Arc-Swiss (yes, he uses a special camera made just for him and his left handedness...Getting THAT done is an accomplishment in and of itself!)

In fact my work looks less and less like his every single day. And some people have said "That is weird! How can you like Dykinga?" Mostly because I have one of these sitting large on my wall and signed by the man himself (a great gift from him).

Nothing like my work.

But why MUST it be like my work for ME to like it?

It is a GREAT FREAKING SHOT! I love it!

It is GORGEOUS!

And if that ain't fine art, then screw fine art!
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    And if that ain't fine art, then screw fine art!
    Amen!

Landscapes are all I do, and all I'm interested in - partially due to people like Jack Dykinga. Another fine photographer is Joe Cornish (UK). Take a look at his gallery http://www.joecornish.com/gallery/gallery.htm.

Here is one my my favorites: Ravenscar (perhaps one of our UK members can tell me where this is)

He also has the touch.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's some technically excellent photographers around, producing work that I'd be very happy to have done myself, even have on my wall (given deep pockets). But there's something that lifts the work of say Bruce Barnbaum or [color=black]perhaps Per Volquartz above many others in my opinion, and I haven't quite been able to conclude yet what it is.[/color]

Perhaps it is as JDC suggests, that it will stand apart from current culture and withstand the tests of time. I know they sing on a different level - but how, what is it? I'd be very keen to hear some more theories from those with better Arts Education than me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    Perhaps it is as JDC suggests, that it will stand apart from current culture and withstand the tests of time. I know they sing on a different level - but how, what is it? I'd be very keen to hear some more theories from those with better Arts Education than me.
    A shot like that is a thing of beauty. It was when it was shot and will continue to be for a long long time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    But where are the bodily fluids!!!

----------------------

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But where are the bodily fluids!!!

Frozen by a bay area sculpture to put into his next freeze dried container of blood. I kid you not. He is an icon for having saved his blood and freeze dried it and put it into a container that looked like his head. I had to ask the teacher how he kept it from molding if it wasn't refirgerated?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The man is obviously a genius and we should burn all previous work at his feet!

Until a guy who works in his own feces comes along.....
    ----------------------

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin