Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,209   Online: 1018

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    IMHO the argument that darkroom work is no longer an art form is a bit silly if 3 other choices are also fundamentally analogue (ceramics, drawing and painting). Presumably in the ceramics class they still manipulate the clay by hand instead of designing something in a CAD program and having it made in China from injection-molded plastic, or in the painting and drawing classes presumably they are using real paints, pencils, paper, canvasses and other tangible materials instead of using digital tablets and Photoshop (or, at the very least, they start with the analogue processes before moving into digital work).

Essentially, my point is if they're going to teach hand-crafted artistic techniques, wet photography is one of them and is equally valid as any other form of art, even if there is a digital equivalent which derives from the analogue process. As a side note, I found this link from 2009 indicating the most expensive photographs sold at auction. Most if not all (I'm not 100% sure about Richard Prince's "rephotographs") were shot on film or some kind of silver process. (I know Gursky's work, at least, is shot on film but then manipulated and printed digitally, so not sure if that helps or hurts your argument.) So, the argument could be made that at least *some people* view photographs, at least partially "wet", as valuable art, based on these prices.

As for materials, well, they're certainly available now in good supply in many formats - if they are that concerned, maybe they should increase your budget so you can buy a walk-in freezer and stockpile them now Again, surely certain types of ceramic glaze or types of paints have become unavailable over the years - clearly the ceramics and painting courses have adapted. The same is true of film and paper. Worst case, you could make your own wet plates from scratch and make salt prints
    Last edited by mabman; 10-01-2010 at 08:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Don't forget to point out The Impossible Project as a further maintaining traditional materials, albeit to a niche market. There are tons of examples to justify continuing wet process photography education.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Kodak and Canham partnership referred to in this Photokina thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/8...photokina.html
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Valerie,

In my retirement I take photo courses at the U Akron, OH. All OH state funded universities take 60+ seniors for lab fees only, thinking we add something to the education. I have taken 20 photo courses in eight years.

The U Akron has a very active Fine Art photography course program. Following are the courses offered this term.

Photography I for Non-Art Majors
    four sections from 8AM to 9 PM
    Introduction to Photography for Art Majors
    Illustrated Advertising Photography – a hot lighting course
    Photography II
    Advanced Photography B&W
    Two sections
    Advanced Photography – color
    History of Photography

In the spring term they will have Advanced Illustrated Advertising Photography or strobe lighting
    Portrait/Fashion photography

In the summer term they will have Photo I
    and Alternative processes – Van Dyke and Cyanotype

This in addition to digital photography and digital printing

The wet darkroom courses have two fifteen enlarger B&W darkrooms and one color darkroom with both a color processor and color enlargers. There are two class rooms and two studios devoted to photography 8AM-9 PM.

If it will help your cause, please PM me and I will send you contact information for the head of the department. She is a fine educator who sends many of her students off to graduate school every year and was instrumental in helping me obtain a 15 month, 30 picture, all expenses paid, museum show in Cleveland, OH.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks to all for the posts and pm's. I am putting this info together now to give to my chair.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Large Format
    How about taking back part of the money being given to linebackers and point guards and putting it into fine art?

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would they be questioning the supposed "art" validity if the economy were in better shape?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Things are looking good.... my dept chair is pricing enlargers for our new darkroom! Its not a "done deal" but we have support in the right places.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's great to hear Valerie. The kaiser enlargers sold new, while expensive, are grade A stuff that goes up to 6x9 and there's plenty of cheaper models out there as well.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    That's great to hear Valerie. The kaiser enlargers sold new, while expensive, are grade A stuff that goes up to 6x9 and there's plenty of cheaper models out there as well.
    Do you know whether the Kaiser enlargers will print a full 6x9 negative? - It is a shame Kaiser don't manufacture at least a 4"x5" enlarger.

Tom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin