Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,932   Posts: 1,522,205   Online: 1061

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always carry a camera of some sort because I believe the old dictum "The best camera is the one you have with you", I don't hang it round my neck and look like a tourist but keep it in a bag that's quick and easy to access it from
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do not have a camera available most of the time. When I go out photographing, I will usually walk around the area and look with my 35mm camera before I start photographing. Depending what I see I will use the 35mm, 120 or 4x5 as I decide.

If I am out photographing I carry all three formats in the car with me unless I know ahead on time that I will only use one in particular.

Steve
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 10-09-2010 at 12:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How much money did that "Moonrise" shot make? Humm...............

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A lot of times when I don't have a camera with me, I wish I had brought one. You can always bring a RF camera or at least something small.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Usually, the RF are enough but if I find a scene that 35mm does not do justice to then I will return later with a MF camera and I will have a better idea of how to shoot the scene. I would love to have a LF camera to shoot some scenes.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I sometimes have a camera with me when I am out for a bike ride, sometime I don't, depending on my mood. Sometimes I just want to ride, sometimes I want to shoot. Most of the places I can reach by bike from my house in one day's ride I can easily return to later at some point. If I am, in fact, being a tourist in some place that I do not get to frequently or may not get to again, I'm more likely to want to have a camera within easy reach. I try not to get too hung up on which way is "better" and just go with the circumstance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last Saturday morning, it was cloudy and gray in the morning. By noon it was starting to clear. I drove up to Mount Baker in the afternoon. It would have been a crime to not have a camera with me. It's really beautiful there.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

have a camera with you

Henri Cartier-Bresson said "I always have a camera with me unless I am shaving in the morning".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Went to do street photography for four days now this week in Europe. All the time I had camera with me except for 10 minutes the last morning when I was just going out to pick up some breakfast. And guess when THE moment of moments happend, yap you guessed right, during those 10 minutes without camera!

That beeing said, bringing camera does not mean you are obligated to shoot. Many times I come back without shooting any pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I keep cameras in my car. digital and B&W film.

I throw a camera over my shoulder when I go for a walk. Usually if it's dim light which it is a lot this time of year, I take my D300 with 50 1.4. I can continue to take handheld photos after the sun is long gone with it's variable ISO. If it's average or brighter, I might take my Yashica-C with some tmax film in it.

Often I take no photos with either camera choice, even though digital is essentially "free" being that it's already paid for up front. Other times, I get some really nice photos. I don't hide it, but it doesn't get in the way either. If you complain about lugging a 2 lb camera, you need some exercise. I've been on canoe paddles too where the cameras just sit in their case and never get used because I didn't have the right opportunities.

It's like being a "live to fish" fisherman and taking your boat out for a cruise without taking your fishing pole(s). It's neurotic and wrong.

Another analogy perhaps more suitable to the OP would be a hunter who goes for a hike on a non-hunting day without his/her gun. It's nice to just enjoy the outdoors and not worry about how you are going to get that deer/bear/moose out of the woods if it were a hunting day.

I prefer to "be prepared"; learned that and knot tying in scouts. I do prefer to keep a camera close by AND keep my eyes open. I like to go back too, often. Light, shadows, colors, atmosphere, clouds, snow cover, everything is different every time you repeat a route.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin