Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,585   Online: 1000

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Visit without a camera first

Somewhere I heard that one should visit a place first without a camera. It's supposed to help you "see" things without the distraction of camera equipment. I've tried this several times recently. The first trip I took to the mountains I missed out on some great weather shots. Tonight I walked up to the balloon fiesta, my first trip there in 11 years living 1/2 mile away. In this case it was probably for the best as I had no idea what to expect. Anybody else do this from time to time?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally I have more sympathy for the "always have a camera with you" viewpoint, but I guess I see where this would make sense too. Especially if you're a person who easily gets too wrapped up in the gear and the "gotta get the image" mindset and forgets to just, y'know, *look*.

Maybe it depends too on whether you're a "seize the moment" photographer, or more inclined to pre-plan and strategise and eventually set forth to get the image you already know you want. I incline strongly to the former, but I wonder if it wouldn't do me some good to practice working the other way sometimes.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't understand why some people habitually wear a camera around their necks and hunt around like a freaking tourist. That would make me feel compelled to shoot and it would get annoying very quickly. I prefer to do my editing up front and take as few shots as I can stand.... rather than spend a lot of time and money and wind up with a Winogrand drawer.

Every now and then, I take a "low end" camera with me like an XA, just to go through the motions and document some future opportunities.

Why not simply take a camera with you and refrain from using it until you see something that truly feels important.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That (the OP) is no doubt one way of working. It might depend on your subject interests too. I find I've often seen an unusual lighting or peculiar shadow that caught my eye and might never be seen again, what with other time obligations, weather variations and seasonal changes in sun angle. Given my druthers, I'd prefer to have some adequate gear with me as a simple matter of practicality. And yes, restraint and using the eyes first is essential.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Weather permitting, you could keep a camera in the trunk of your car. That way, you always have a camera available when you need it but you won't be weighed down with your gear all the time.

An opposite approach would be to carry a camera with you every damn place you go. You'll just get so used to carrying it around with you that it will become second nature.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always have two cameras with me even when I don't plan on shooting. The Bessa R and the Canonet QL17 GIII don't weigh much and they are easy enough to handle that all I have to do is grab one then shoot. As I said, I don't always plan on shooting, like at work or going to the store but I would rather have a camera and not need it, than not have one and need it.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi nc5p,

I've read, but can't find the passage, that when you want to take pictures of people, you need to get to know them before you take pictures. Take photos too soon and you destroy the rapport. Go to the bar, sit and talk with them, fight with them, then you can take a picture that communicates who they are. In this case I am convinced it's good advice to use restraint.

You pointed out that you missed a potential shot by not carrying a camera. Nature photography goes that way. Here the best photographers return over and over. Galen Rowell's son went out dozens of times to the same place with a camera every time and finally got the shot of a cougar that Galen never could get. In this case, you should always bring a camera and always take pictures.

I have the problem that once I take a photo of something, I don't feel compelled to take another. An uprooted snag I call the gates of hell sits on a ledge below Sally Keyes that I strolled right past while wielding a 4x5. I felt no need to retake a photo I had done a decade ago in 35mm.

This is worth delving into. I might be better off if I had skipped shooting the first time. But I really think the lesson in this case and in your case is that you should always take a camera, but maybe not always take pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I understand where this sentiment comes from. I have no problem enjoying a place with or without a camera, personally. However, some people do, and it is these people who came up with this rule in order to exercise control over themselves in an absolute manner and in advance, since they cannot control themselves or use proper judgment on a case-by-case, spur-of-the-moment basis.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Its a mind set that at least suits a larger production - in cine its called a location recce.

Even going so far as to regularly take directors viewfinder to see what a camera will see, but no film or sensor attached.

The cameras are so damn large, unwieldy, heavy and going on an hourly rate it makes a whole heap of sense - makes sense with LF gear for some of those reasons... As for 35mm, 120 well - hmmm - I've been stuck staring at scenes in some places I just know will never happen again in that way, nothing left to do but watch and take it in yourself but start looking at those nice light weight rangefinders on ebay on you're home.
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the bit of advice is for those who cannot seem to enjoy themselves when they are photographing, as opposed to arguing for the "scouting" benefits.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin