Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,641   Online: 715

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Existing Light View Post
    wouldnt a photographic print have the same drawbacks? Or would the enlarger lens somehow cancel out distortions of the camera lens? (No sarcasm intended here. That's a real question, because I dont know )
    A lens will take in a subject all at once. Tracing the image will give you near perfect line drawing of an image taken with a photographic lens. It's a different experience to what we see in 3-D, especially with a pencil or brush to reproduce it.

The link has an example of what I'm talking about. The image is 'wrong' by conventions of perspective but not by those of drawing. Since photography cornered the visual reportage end of image making in the mid-C19th there is no necessity for photo like drawings, just as pictorialism was an attempt to give photographs artistic respectability by making them smudgy and impressionistic. There's nothing morally wrong with either approach and as I said previously, it's an interesting experiment but I responded to your idea of 'cheating'.
    So long as you're not passing off a tracing as an example of life drawing - which anyone who knew their subject would spot immediately - cheating doesn't enter into it.

http://www.johnpiper.org.uk/colston%20basset-1-1983.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    ..Just had a funny thought. what if you used a holga image as the basis for your drawing...
    I do have a Holga, so it's very possible I could... next time I have some 120 film on hand. I've been pretty much working primarily with a pentax k1000 for about a year now, but a Holga neg or slide is a possibility

I've also been contemplating using deliberate misalignment of the lens and easel to play with the perspective. I mentioned I likedthe Degas-like style of my first sketch, so the detail I get with a perfectly aligned and focused easel really isnt a concern as long as I can see what I'm doing.

This whole idea has evolved from "what if I did this?" a few days ago to "I've got the basics of this down. Now how can I use this to get what I want?" I might be better off working from prints when I use negatives, but this projection method might be better suited for slides (black and white negs reversal processed) unless I want to figure out how to reversal process paper

I'm sure everyone reading this has figured out I dont really care about photo realism too much with these drawings/paintings. I'll leave the photo realism to my prints and slides. Outside of the photography world, I'm a fan of the Impressionists and expressionist painters. Somehow I'm going to try to figure a way to transfer these photographs in to some sort of Impressionist expressionist kind of drawing or painting. At least, that's my goal for now. Ask me again tomorrow and I'll have another goal in mind
    "Gotta little problem with personal space, and I've been pounding the Jager. My breath and behavior have been driving the patrons away" -"Whipped Cream" by Ludo

My photography blog: http://silver-light0.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    You may want to have a look at futurism and vorticism which, among other things, were an attempt to portray movement in time and space.

Shooter
    35mm
    If it was good enough for da Vinci, it's good enough for us.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin