Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,853   Online: 920

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is sad in the college level class I took on digital photography we were not taught photography. You were told to go out and just shoot what ever you wanted no matter how it turned out. What 99% of the class consisted of was coming back to the lab and being taught how to mask and fix any problen the resulting image had in photoshop. Not once were we told how to use the camera, how to shoot for the existing light, composition, etc. It was nothing more than a class on photoshop. If I want to learn another computer program, I want it called as such. Do not confuse manipulating a computer program with taking a quality picture.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deniz
    I begging to some experienced software engineers/programmers to create a virus that only effects photoshop folder in a computer and renders it useless..

looking at the "best" photos at photo.net i want to stab myself in the face with a pitchfork..

done ranting...
    Ladies and gentlemen, we do seem to be getting ourselves into something of a lather over this Photoshop thing, do we not?
    I guess stable boys and blacksmiths felt the same way when Henry Ford started knocking out Tin Lizzies at a dime a dozen, causing the horseshoe trade to bomb.
    The fact is that Photoshop, like the Spinning Jenny is here, and it ainít going away; so learn to love it, or ignore it, but please donít keep prattling on about it. Itís boring!
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    Ladies and gentlemen, we do seem to be getting ourselves into something of a lather over this Photoshop thing, do we not?
    I guess stable boys and blacksmiths felt the same way when Henry Ford started knocking out Tin Lizzies at a dime a dozen, causing the horseshoe trade to bomb.
    The fact is that Photoshop, like the Spinning Jenny is here, and it ainít going away; so learn to love it, or ignore it, but please donít keep prattling on about it. Itís boring!
    My prattle is about the way it is taught in conjunction with photography. It is not photography that is being taught. That is tertirary in importance in todays photography classes dealing with digital. PS as a tool to create art in a borad sense is fine. I rile at the fact it is not the art of photography, it is the art of photoshop. Call it by its true name.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    It may not effect you in any way but it's definitely having a huge impact on my ability to learn. I need feed back and I can't for the life of me GET feed back because all the "critique" boards focus heavily on how to "manipulate" your images, rather than how to "photograph" good images.

More and more photography is seeming to be a fruitless effort for me. I'm sinking out here because I have no peers or I just can't get the kind of input I need to grow and improve.

No one ever tells digital users to stop beating up on analog users but people are forever telling analog users to stop complaining about the ways they are effected by the digital craze. Funny how that works.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anyte
    It may not effect you in any way but it's definitely having a huge impact on my ability to learn. I need feed back and I can't for the life of me GET feed back because all the "critique" boards focus heavily on how to "manipulate" your images, rather than how to "photograph" good images.
    That's a great point, Anyte. Often not considered in the whole debate is how the begining photographer is affected by the emphasis on digital. "Fix it in photoshop" doesn't help someone take a decent photo in the first place, including the hows and whys of composition and other important, cross-platform knowledge. With more and more schools shutting down their "wet photography" departments I imagine it is very difficult for the newbie to find good, personalized guidance. Hopefully Sean is giving serious consideration to the APUG Mentor Program I suggested a few weeks ago. And Les McLean already made the offer to help others, so maybe PM him and see if he can give you some cyber one-on-one? (And I hope he doesn't mind me volunteering him )

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    IMO a photograph is not a photograph until it is on paper, I don't care what medium, ink jet, llfocIhrome etc, etc.
    So slides don't count Jorge? What could be more purely analogue than a tranny?

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge

Unfortunately we don't see much color work here. Which is something I would like to see more, Mrcallow had some very nice images at ebay, I would have like to see some here, b.e.wilson also does some very nice work, c'mon color people get posting! you all know my preference is B&W, but it is getting boring here.
    Colour work is so much more difficult to do well via analogue means, so I don't think you'll ever see a large number of posts with colour photos in this forum. A shame, but that's just the way it is these days.

I shoot colour almost exclusively, but to get from my trannies to prints, I go via the computer. That's somewhat frowned upon here, so I don't post anything at all. I could indeed show you scans of my trannies, but they would forever be doubted as "manipulated", so there's not much point.

Anyway, enjoy the B&Ws - that's what most people on APUG shoot anyway.

Cheers,
    Graeme
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Graeme,
    If it's any consolation to you, I consider a scan of a trannie to be the equivalent to a scan of a print. If you want to post and share on a site like this, that is what you have to do.
    So if you have some good scans of your color work, please post. I will view your work and enjoy doing so.
    gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Gene,

In the interests of not stirring the pot unnecessarily, I'll refrain from posting at the moment. Feel free to look at my website though (www.scenebyhird.com).

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Hird
    Gene,

In the interests of not stirring the pot unnecessarily, I'll refrain from posting at the moment. Feel free to look at my website though (www.scenebyhird.com).

Cheers,
    Beautiful work on a very nice website.

Images
    I admit, when doing color, I'd rather shoot color neg, scan and IJ print than to hand my negs over to some hastily trained wage slave to crank out with the rest of his production quota. If I had access to a color darkroom, I'd enjoy printing them photographically. but I couldn't begin to justify the expense for the amount of color that I shoot.
    This is why I don't post any color work in the APUG galleries. Even if I didn't manipulate it, it just wouldn't seem right to post a neg scan or a scan off of an IJ print.
    If I manage to find a good, cheap E-6 lab though, I'd like to shoot some slides or tranparencies this Fall.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin