Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,396   Online: 820

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Film just feels like home.

I visited a Magnum Photo exhibition some time ago ..

I use digital and film, I took up photography in 2003 with a dSLR but have a fSLR after that and find that a manual focus camera is where I feel most comfortable.

To me at least digital is like manufacturing while film is like at your own pleasure. Having seen some of the photographs, they don't employ split filters or the finest grained film. With film I can go to the lab, chat to the guys and to other customers, get my film, ask for other recommendations, while digital to me is like going to a supermarket where you just pick what you want and head to the checkout counter.

I don't doubt that a lot of technical qualities is with digital and the digital 35mm gear might be approaching medium format, and these days people demand digital like the press and like the customers.

To me film has history, my life was captured on film, it's tangible, digital is pretty good quality maybe like a classy restaurant when the masses like. But film to me is like going away from the city where you may not have that fine dining experience but you get real food, like home made bread/pasta, organic own farmed meats, pizza cooked in a stone oven.

Maybe in time I pick up a Leica M6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I kinda feel the same way myself.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll drink some type of organic beverage to that !

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Ray, I feel very much the same way as you about film, it's a mature technology that has a rich history and tradition and I personally have never been tempted to buy a digital camera and invest a lot of money in tomorrows obsolescence I have neither the time or patience to learn photography all over again.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is really great, modern film is so good and while it is a pain that it seems I can't get it processed anywhere in reasonable time, this means I'm forced to use the darkroom again which is actualy a good thing!

With modern lenses you can mount to old 'light tight boxes' in some ways while it is a dark time for film it is also a bright time. Never has the equipment been so affordable anyways.

Really does feel like home compared to cold digital. I just need to be brave enough to shoot it for everything. The one thing digital does have is the immediate feedback, knowing for sure you got the shot. With film, processing it yourself especially it is more satisfying but more worrying at the same time.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    fSLR First time I have heard that used.

To me, there is not much difference between film and digital when it comes to actually shooting and getting what you want with the camera itself. Shooting digital is remarkably close to shooting transparencies, in almost every way. The difference comes when looking at results obtained, processes performed, equipment required and the price tags thereof.

What I really cannot understand is the people who "go" entirely digital, as opposed to simply "using" digital when digital is called for and using film when film is called for. I know I like digital for some things...about five or six times a year, now that I don't use it every day at work. I view it as a choice, just like choosing an emulsion to use. Why so damned many people completely deserted film just because digital came along is beyond me. I guess they just wanted to spend a whole shit-ton of money to make things harder and lower in quality.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    fSLR First time I have heard that used.
    I think we might have to add fSLR, to the vernacular.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Why so damned many people completely deserted film just because digital came along is beyond me. I guess they just wanted to spend a whole shit-ton of money to make things harder and lower in quality.
    That is the question I have very often asked myself and I had made that same mistake for a few years. I think it's just that faulty notion of thinking that something new has to be better, maybe? Not sure. I think it's a combination of things but, for the casual shooter, digital made and makes more sense, since quality is not a concern and they rather pop that SD card in and share those pics with the family, upload to Costco or Snapfish for prints etc. It's a different world and, at the core, it's the internet that changed it all.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    When I get frustrated with my digital camera, I have been known to refer to it as my f-ing DSLR.

Shooter
    35mm
    absolutely right

Soumya Mukhopadhyay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin