Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,449   Online: 819

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Maris: as passionate as I am about prints made in the darkroom from film negatives, I have to disagree with your observation that "digital photography" is an oxymoron. In fact, I wish that galleries, art shows, magazines, and other venues that display photographs would identify pictures taken with a digital camera as just that.

I have noticed that there are far more photographs accepted into juried art shows that I have entered than in previous years. I also perceive that almost all of them are digital or hybrid pictures. I carefully list my medium as "silver gelatin photograph," or more often, "lith photograph."

I think that digital photography is a valid art form, but it seems that some of its practitioners hide behind the label of "photography" because...well, maybe they think their media isn't as accepted, or they hope uninformed viewers will think it is a traditionally made print. Maybe other reasons; I don't know. Frankly, my own biased opinion is that most people think that digital photographs are easier to make, and therefore attach more value to traditionally made photographs. So if digital photographs are identified as a separate media from silver gelatin photographs, our media should be accorded greater value.

I also think that I have rambled on far too long. Blame it on the wine with dinner.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think today for the average Joe,Photography is a print made with a digital camera.Even people who used film point and shoot film cameras 10-15yrs ago.But 15 and more years ago the same old average Joe would say that a print made with a film camera is photography,there was no digital. Toy digital camera,toy film camera,no difference for them,just the convenience of what is handy.I would not try to talk about the merits of film to someone who is looking only for the conveyance of taking a family snap shoot,but to an aspiring inquisitive young artist yes,A fellow photographer yes,some one interested in film or analog photography ,or some who has a liking for a anlog print yes.
    Before I joined APUG never used the term analog ,its kind of a sterile word to describe film to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I think digital is also photography, but won't argue about that.

Analog/Film/"Traditional Film" is what I use. Digital is the buzzword for what most people are wanting for cameras/cellphones/music, and everyone knows analog is the antonym of digital. Analog isn't what film photography was called 10 years ago, but it's an accurate and understood contemporary term for what we do and concisely how it's different than the status quo.

Analog is also a cool thing among music/audio people where the seeming pinnacle of music listening spendiness is to listen to records on a $100000 turntable mounted on granite connected up to a tube amp; 100% analog.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Analog is also a cool thing among music/audio people where the seeming pinnacle of music listening spendiness is to listen to records on a $100000 turntable mounted on granite connected up to a tube amp; 100% analog.
    Forget the pinnacle. I have had the same turntable for 23 (I think) years. I got it at the Broadway and I play it through through model speakers that I also got at the Broadway. Still sounds better than CDs, even on this department store rig! Plus, you get to have BIG album art and you get to flip the thing over halfway through, which is how the things were often designed to be heard.

...and it ain't cool to most music/audio people. People think I am a Luddite freak when they walk in and see a thousand LPs opposite the entry door (and about 3,000 upstairs, if they make it that far). They have thought this since the late 1980s and early 1990s too, when most people went 100 percent digital for their music listening.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-25-2010 at 06:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My photo business card describes my works as:

Black & White and Colour photography
    Hand processed and printed using silver based techniques

I'm not trying to slag anyone, just tell people what I work with.

More casually, I tell people I use film cameras.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    I find that most people understand "darkroom prints" pretty well. They understand that it's different when you use the word "darkroom", even if they don't actually know the difference, they know that there is a difference.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've recently found (especially now that I'm in China) that anytime I use the word 'film' as in the sentence "I shoot on film" it is almost always misunderstood and the person I'm speaking with then begins to ask me about movie making, etc. 'Film' seems to have fallen off the minds of the average person to such an extent that it only means 'Movie'. This has been my experience several times when I was living in Canada and almost always when I speak to Chinese people (in English) about traditional photography.

I'm not sure - I don't mind using 'traditional' but many of the processes that I use are not traditional in any way as I personally do a lot of hybrid stuff and often will produce a digital image as an end result of my film work. Analogue confuses those who are not native English speakers (and even some who are), so in my particular case I'm still looking for the right words to quickly describe my medium of choice.
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Superior format.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Shooter
    35mm
    I say I make photos 'the proper way'.
    Steve.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like "Film Based" or "Traditional Film Based Photography" both have a nice ring to them.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin