Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,029   Online: 948

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Seeking "describers" of what/how we do......

Hi there,

An odd title for a posting however, I could not think of something more suitable and would like to know your thoughts.

We all know what we mean by analogue photography or analogue print but outside of the rarefied circle - does this mean anything to the "man in the street" or make any sense?

Not knocking the APUG title in anyway. Why am I thinking this way?

I was doodling with a strapline for a logo and when I used "Black and white photography" I imagined that most people would think of digital work. Using "Analogue b/w photography" made sense to me but would that make sense to someone not versed in the minutiae of the film/digital divide?

Are there any reasonable "describers" that might suit to describe the black and white hand printed photographs made using film and chemicals?

Any thoughts to help out this musing?

Sim2.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What's wrong with simply using the words "film" or "traditional" - as in traditional, film based photography ?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree with Brad. "film" and "traditional" are both good descriptors that I use often. I also use the word classic, and in less formal settings, old school, film dog, luddite...

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Traditional works as a descriptor. I don't like the word analogue because it's prejudicial in adopting digital terminology. The terms will become meaningless as technology evolves and cameras spill out a code, a silver negative, a dye transfer, a Polaroid type instant, a 3-D simulacrum or whatever the user decides.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yep, I quite like the "film" and "traditional" though film doesn't really indicate hand made prints - film can be scanned and digi printed. When I think about traditional I can't help but think that it is a describer of subject rather than process, but it perhaps makes sense.

Still not sure, thinking about it too much now!

Sim2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Traditional photography, Hand made prints?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Analog is probably the most suitable word. Why not just learn to explain what analog is to people who do not know?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with John, traditional photography, hand made prints.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If asked I say I make "genuine photographs out of light sensitive materials".

Inevitably I follow with "digital picture making isn't photography and it's specifically what I guarantee not to do". Sometimes I get an argument based on the tired old formula "well, light hits a sensor" and sometimes I get a shrug. One thing that I never never say (and I type it with revulsion) is "digital photography". That phrase embraces an untruth which my sense of shame forces me to recoil from.

And I also avoid "analogue photography" because that concedes there may be such a thing as "non-analogue photography". There isn't.
    Last edited by Maris; 10-25-2010 at 05:56 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: second thoughts
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    If asked I say I make "genuine photographs out of light sensitive materials".

Inevitably I follow with "digital picture making isn't photography and it's specifically what I guarantee not to do". Sometimes I get an argument based on the tired old formula "well, light hits a sensor" and sometimes I get a shrug. One thing that I never never say (and I type it with revulsion) is "digital photography". That phrase embraces an untruth which my sense of shame forces me to recoil from.

And I also avoid "analogue photography" because that concedes there may be such a thing as "non-analogue photography". There isn't.
    So, photography is analog only.

This is news to me. Have you been to your local photo shop lately? It isn't.

You are stating an elitist point of view as if it is a fact. Digital photography definitely does exist, and definitely is photography, by any standard definition of these terms.

You may not like it, but it sure as shit exists and is photography, and denying that it does is an exercise in nonsense and uselessness.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin