Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,521   Posts: 1,572,240   Online: 842

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Kodachrome Ignorance

Forgive my ignorance. A local guy is trying to unload lots of slide film. I read that Dwayne's is the last place to get Kodachrome processed and only until Dec. 10th.

The seller is unloading 'Velvia, Provia, Ektachrome and others'. Are these films still being processed after the 10th? Perhaps this is the wrong forum, but if the guy is pulling a fast one..I would like to warn others. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Kodachrome is the only one to worry about, and I thought it was Dec.31st. All the other slide films you mention are standard E-6 processing, and no particular worries.

Just checked Dwayne's web site and it says 'Kodachrome that is not in our lab by noon on December 30th will not be processed."
    Last edited by David William White; 10-26-2010 at 11:01 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: checked last day for K-14
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodachrome can be processed by Dwain's until December 30th. It must be there by Noon on the 30th. Check their web site http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/ I was on the phone with them yesterday, and they said that they are receiving "a lot" of Kodachrome so they are sticking tight to that deadline.

E-6 process slide film can still be processed after December, it is just Kodak Kodachrome K-14 processing that will stop in December. Now if this local guy is trying to dump really old Kodachrome K-11 process film, then he is trying to pull a fast one.

Unless it was stored abusively (in the trunk of a car in Arizona) It should be fine. The largest format Dwain's will process is 35mm so again, as long as it is 35mm or smaller it can be processed.

Kodachrome is just one type of slide film, it was made by Kodak and will say Kodachrome on it, if you miss the December deadline there are places that are talking about offering Black and White processing of Kodachrome, but that would be a waste of a great color slide film.

If you live in Europe and have mailers, they will not accept those after November 30th.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The reference to December 10 is a typo - I've seen it too, and I think is meant to indicate something like "the end of December, 2010".
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    As the deadline approaches I'm sure we'll see lots of attempts to unload hoarded Kodachrome, but the day isn't far away when it will all be totally worthless.

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    but the day isn't far away when it will all be totally worthless.
    Although you can process it as a black and white film.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    There's quite a few rolls of K25 on UK ebay at the mo', I'm sort of almost tempted to buy one, but knowing my luck as soon as I've loaded a 25ASA film into the camera it won't stop raining until December 30th.
    Steve.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Aside from the Kodachrome issues, verify stale dates for the E6 films. Since processing isn't getting any cheaper, I usually pass on short-dated or stale E6 films whose storage conditions are sketchy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    It should be fine. The largest format Dwain's will process is 35mm so again, as long as it is 35mm or smaller it can be processed.
    It should be made clear here that Dwayne's will process larger formats than 35mm in C41 and E6 processes, just not Kodachrome. I have been able to drop my E6 and Kodachrome at local drug stores and a local Walmart for the last several years, and all of it goes to Dwayne's. As far as I can determine, Fuji contracted with Dwayne's after shutting down the US Fuji labs, so if your local drop-off for sending film out for processing is for Fuji labs, that's likely Dwayne's. It's also a lot cheaper here to send through the courier service at the stores. A couple of years ago both E-6 and K-14 were US$4.88 at the local drugstore chain, then it went to $5.88. When the local drugstore dropped the service and I had to use Walmart, they went from $5.88 to $6.88.

I just finished off a couple of bricks of PKM and PKR from 1989, kept refrigerated or frozen most of the time, and they look like fresh film. Turn around time for me is about 10 days, with a Tues-Thurs-Sat schedule for pick up and drop off.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Has anyone processed K64 as b&W and if so what are the results like. Worth doing? I have some of it in the freezer and figured I'd let it stay and then at some point when I sold off a vintage camera throw in a period roll of film. But, the thought of processing it as b&w might be a better alternative. Also, how is it procesed as to developer, time, etc. and is the result a transparency or negative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin