Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,720   Online: 972

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Film philosophy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't really understand what you are asking for. Do you need published reference material to form an opinion for your paper, because you do not know why people use film, or do you already have your opinion, and just need to find interesting passages to quote?

For me, the philosophy of using film is not very deep, if existent at all. I guess the most philosophical thing about it is that I generally prefer to work with tangible physical media than with purely electronic digital media, be it in the area of music, photography, writing, etc. Aside from the physical differences in process, I feel that working strictly with something that is held in the hand is an important difference. I don't know if that is "philosophical." Perhaps just something that lubricates my imagination in an intangible way (perhaps because it is, quite simply, much more fun)...

Other than that, the differences all come down to results, equipment, cost, and process – all very physical and tangible things. Not much philosophy there.

Here is my personal favorite Internet article on why we use film: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/why-we-love-film.htm.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 11-15-2010 at 02:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Policar View Post

I remember Claude Lévi-Strauss / ... / I think he invented blue jeans or something.
    I just hope you're trying to be funny here ... otherwise you need to read up a bit about the anthropogist who developed structuralism.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm
    If someone ask me a question like "explain why you are shooting film still?", I would probably answer with " I just feel like it!"
    "It's not about the pictures, concepts, people, human bodies, emotions, experimentations, colours, dreams, tricky scenes, camera or imaginations.. it's about the poetry behind them all."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Invert the question and try to make the case to abandon film. This will give you some salient points to work from.

It won\'t give you the speech, but it will force you to think about it critically. Which is what you need right now on the front end of the endeavor.
    Last edited by michaelbsc; 11-15-2010 at 06:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just FYI, there was such a paper written for delivery at the 2006 ICIS (International Congress of Imaging Science) meeting here in Rochester, but it was canceled at the last minute "due to lack of interest". I have a prerelease copy of it here somewhere. It is rather lengthy and very well written. If you are interested, I'll see if the author will allow me to pass his address on to you.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to visit Clyde Butcher's website and go to his face book page, etc. He talks about why he still uses film rather extensively. I would imagine someone as accomplished and recognized as Butcher would be a good one to reference.

If I were to do this type of thing, I am not sure if I would go as far as to call it "philosophy." I use film because I like the result it gives me. I also like the process itself. It's calming. I don't have any grand scheme or philosophical reasons behind it. You could always approach it as why YOU do it, unless of course, referencing someone else is required per your professor.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The idea of struggling to put into words what we can do more efficiently with images... it's a little bit too Susan Sontag for my taste.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    The idea of struggling to put into words what we can do more efficiently with images... it's a little bit too Susan Sontag for my taste.
    Those who can, do, those who can't, teach.

Sorry, couldn't resist. No offense meant to you or the original poster.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackcrusaders View Post
    I'm writing a speech on the benefits and philosophy of using film in photography. I'm having a harder time than I thought of tracking down resources. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    There is a marketing program in Kodak called "Film No Compromise". It is about motion picture film:

http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion..._one_sheet.htm

I hope you may find some useful information there. Good luck!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    A sort of transformation of quantity (time) into quality (negative)?
    I was thinking more of how the negative is a chemical recording of the time rather than something that a sensor picked up. Kind of like paint on a canvas rather than a digital image.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin