Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,568   Online: 1183

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Film philosophy

Shooter
    35mm

Film philosophy

I'm writing a speech on the benefits and philosophy of using film in photography. I'm having a harder time than I thought of tracking down resources. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It might be a good idea to go to a college library and use their online catalog. I am doing some research as well and you can find a lot of material, articles/books, etc.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "the benefits and philosophy of using film in photography"

What are your thoughts on this? Any themes or an actual thesis to be considered??? You might try photo.net for this sort request.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You could start by asking yourself if there is such a thing as a "philosophy of using film in photography".

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    You could start by asking yourself if there is such a thing as a "philosophy of using film in photography".
    Or, you could ask yourself what YOUR philosophy of using film in photography is. Why do you use film? What are the advantages for you of using film? What makes the use of film outweigh the ease, convenience, and other perceived advantages of digital? I suspect that each of us would answer these questions somewhat differently. In fact, there is another thread going on right now that was started by a person returning to film after being in the digital world for awhile. Many of us replying have different viewpoints.

Perhaps after identifying your philosophy you might want to explore the philosophies of other film photographers. Good luck in your research.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackcrusaders View Post
    I'm writing a speech
    Welcome to APUG!

Sounds like good fun. Who is your audience?
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Welcome to APUG!

Sounds like good fun. Who is your audience?
    Its for a speech class. The professor moved the date forward a few times so I have less time than expected when I originally chose the topic.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    Or, you could ask yourself what YOUR philosophy of using film in photography is. Why do you use film? What are the advantages for you of using film? What makes the use of film outweigh the ease, convenience, and other perceived advantages of digital? I suspect that each of us would answer these questions somewhat differently. In fact, there is another thread going on right now that was started by a person returning to film after being in the digital world for awhile. Many of us replying have different viewpoints.

Perhaps after identifying your philosophy you might want to explore the philosophies of other film photographers. Good luck in your research.
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'll use Andre Bazin.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What could he have to say about using film in photography that's still relevant today?

Shooter
    35mm
    A sort of transformation of quantity (time) into quality (negative)?
    Steve.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin