Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,273   Online: 879

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    I don't think anybody here has so far attempted to claim the Slow Food Movement and film photography are identical. What I see is a number of posts where people are picking up on themes that are similar in both. For me it was time, for Ian it was about a state of mind, for Keith it was about craft, for Ian Grant it was pace, and for ntenny it was the theme of de-commodification.
    I agree, I don't see anybody trying to force a direct correspondence between the two. We don't eat photochemicals

I think we just need to ask why people are starting to find more value in slow/local/handmade/etc. Is it fad, is it nostalgia... or is it possible that people are actually starting to realize that art which can be banged out industrially by the thousand is inherently less valuable...?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The idea of "Slow Art" has been around for a few years. It's all about the pace at which we create and consume art, and the commitment we make as artists and viewers. There are some very interesting ideas out there.
    Last edited by Ian Leake; 11-16-2010 at 05:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Minor tweaking

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I agree, I don't see anybody trying to force a direct correspondence between the two. We don't eat photochemicals
    Didn't we have somebody who accidentally made his morning coffee with sodium sulfite once? But I agree...we *generally* don't eat photochemicals. :-)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    there is plenty that has to do with photography that has nothing to do with slow.
    this isn't just true with smaller format cameras but larger ones too ...
    and while i see similarities between a crafted meal and a crafted image
    there are plenty of people that craft images that originated from a non-organic source ..
    maybe there are few compared to those whose images begin with an analog source ..

i kind of agree with the whole amish perspective of photography as well, i wouldn't say it has
    to be slow, just arcane

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

That's why Etsy is so popular

Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post

I think we just need to ask why people are starting to find more value in slow/local/handmade/etc. Is it fad, is it nostalgia... or is it possible that people are actually starting to realize that art which can be banged out industrially by the thousand is inherently less valuable...?
    Have any APUGers gone to Etsy.com ? I shopped for my girl friend there. Lots of hand made goodies. You could sell your work there too. I think the more digital and mass produced items out there, the greater the hunger for hand made items. There are photographers that sell inkjet prints there too, but I understand why folks are trying to make a few bucks during this lousy recession.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin