Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,510   Online: 775

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just like B&W, nothing more nothing less!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1) I live in Cleveland. It's a black & white town. Not much color most of the year, so may as well shoot B&W. And it saves money - Cleveland doesn't have much money.

2) B&W is meat. Color is spice.

3) We see form in black and white. Color informs us of the quality of the form.

4) Black and white removes the distraction of color.

5) Black and white captures the soul of a person. Color captures the pancake & lipstick.

OTOH - sometimes I look at B&W and see death. Form without quality.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Jan View Post
    Second B/W must be an interesting picture, with color blue sky and yellow corn for example is already great looking, even when the composition is not good.
    So you look harder and learn more.
    Very well said. This is one of my strongest reasons too---b&w really encourages attention to things like composition and light, rather than "look, a pretty subject!", which is all too easy to do with colour.

Also, b&w processing is a nice combination of simplicity and flexibility; easy to do in the home darkroom, suitable for tweaking in all sorts of interesting ways.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't forget that b&w isn't *entirely* an artificial view---we do have a monochrome component to our vision (the "rods" in the retina, vs. the "cones" which see colour; the rods are more sensitive to low light, which is why you can't see colour well at night), and apparently some people actually dream in black and white, so there is *some* organic precedent.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ehf View Post
    I've noticed that people sometimes ooh and aah over the color of a photo rather than the subject of it, excepting when the color is the subject, of course. When you take away the color, your subject is, in a manner of speaking, seen in another light.
    With my B&W prints, I hope people ooh and aah over the light of my photos rather than the objects photographed. But as you mentioned, light is usually my subject.

IMO, many images (B&W or color) fail when the quality of light (rendered in B&W or color) is more or less ignored for the sake of the subject.

And IMO, good color is as difficult, if not more so, than B&W. One must come to grips with the emotional power of color as well.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot both and the reasons vary. At one time I shot B&W for economy, but now I find B&W an appropriate tool to emphasize composition and lighting. It tends to work well with some of the subjects I often turn to lately -- old "infrastructure," decaying industrial sites, etc. It should be noted that many painters often start with a small loosely rendered monochrome "value study" before proceeding to the final work, it's a way to "see" the foundations of an image.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Probably, obviously, it's just more appealing to certain eyes.

But, I think there are certain photographers who are better at expressing themselves in black and white. Or, maybe they're just more comfortable with it. Peter Lindbergh said that color is more akin to reality and that black and white is more like fiction/fantasy. So, I guess it's a matter of what's more appealing; I don't think there's very much elaboration to it.

I think it's interesting that by default, [American] society naturally shoots most of their ordinary snap shot photos in color. I think I've been so much more into developing my black and white skills that I struggled with color for a while. Now, I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of working with color.
    Last edited by Brandon D.; 12-03-2010 at 10:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hallo

after some years "i look black and white".
    i really have problems taking colour images

thomas
    --------------------------------------------------
    vfdkv (259)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    IMO, many images (B&W or color) fail when the quality of light (rendered in B&W or color) is more or less ignored for the sake of the subject.
    Vaughn, I think that goes both ways, though. I've seen poorly attended to subjects (and awkward composition) under EXCEPTIONAL lighting. Sure, the lighting obviously made for an interesting photograph, but the subject did not. I've even caught it in my own work before. I guess I went through a stage where I was sort of obsessed about the lighting, and I forgot about paying attention to the other fine details about what makes a great photograph. Perhaps that's part of the reason why I am more comfortable with working in color now. So, I think "WOW" photographs need decent lighting and decent subjects at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    And IMO, good color is as difficult, if not more so, than B&W.
    Agreed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Because I find color photographs boring.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin