Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,554   Posts: 1,573,143   Online: 786

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

What do you do to spur creativity????

I am at a point where I feel that I have nothing to say photographically...Whay am I taking photos???
    I love the process of taking, developing and printing but the results are less than exciting!

What do you do to spur a new vision, creativity or whatever you would like to call it?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've been in that kinda place for a few months now. I go through spaces where I don't even think about photography for a couple of weeks. But I think I have made about 30 photographs this year. And only about as many prints. It's just been slwo. Not beating myself up as usual about it, though. Just kind of a hiatus of sorts, I suppose. Still been active here, though. So I guess that's something.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ooooooow, tricky one. Have you thought to "Ask Chris" in The Lounge?

Slightly more seriously, Motivation and creativity are elusive beasts to pin down but....... do you have something that interests you (outside of photography)? Sometimes, photographing a subject - be it cars, people, architecture - that is of inherent interest is useful as then you might be photographing to illustrate a point or "thing" about the subject. That can then be the reason for taking a photograph.

Alternately, choose something that "challenges" you. Don't like people? Shoot a set of portraits. Bored by landscapes, shoot a set of them - this might then "force" you to identify why that particular picture is woth taking or showing to people.

Failing all that, do you need to be saying something with your photos? Although we might like to believe that our artistic endeavours are adding to the creative world often this just doesn't happen. Just enjoy the fact that you are, go with the flow and if the "record" shots are going to have meaning perhpas the meaning will evolve without being forced.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    *subscribe*

i want a vision, too. it is like... i do this and that. but what i would want is some kind of a project to work on. something that gets me going.
    i actually even consulted some random word generator (it's true!) to give me inspiration through uncommon words. i collected some and will see if that takes me somewhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Trying giving yourself some mini-photo assignments.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There are different things I do. Go for a long walk. Go somewhere I never been (and it doesn't mean I have to go far - there's always some spot even in the neighbourhood I haven't seen yet). Get up really early to see if there is something to photograph. Or late at night. Make a pie and do some food photography.

Sometimes I set up some assignments or limitations (a certain process or having to do a roll of film with one f/stop). If it's really bad, I go outside without a camera. And well ... by gosh darn if that isn't a dwarf riding on a unicorn over there? And I've no camera!
    Last edited by Jerevan; 12-05-2010 at 04:22 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had a Unicorn pass me the other day and I missed the shot!!!!

Maybe I should try shooting some color film??? I always shot B&W maybe if I try looking at the world in color?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my personal opinion and talking from experience on this I have found that when I go through times with no vision, most of the time this is related to something else going on in my life through an emotional route or something similar. I try to use that as a force to make me go out and take pictures and connect with my emotions. I think we photographers sometime spend the time thinking to much and wondering an by ourselves fall into a "creative vision wall". David Gahan, (depeche mode lead singer/I LOVE the band) was telling in an interview that one time he told on of his friends that he is suffering about life, creativity, emotions, etc..His friend turned to him and said: Dave, I believe you are suffering, but, suffer well! He made a song called "Suffer Well" worth checking out... In my eyes everything is a vision.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Experiment with printing.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    There are different things I do. Go for a long walk. Go somewhere I never been (and it doesn't mean I have to go far - there's always some spot even in the neighbourhood I haven't seen yet). Get up really early to see if there is something to photograph. Or late at night. Make a pie and do some food photography.

Somtimes I set up some assignments or limitations (a certain process or having to do a roll of film with one f/stop). If it's really bad, I go outside without a camera. And well ... by gosh darn if that isn't a dwarf riding on a unicorn over there? And I've no camera!
    Ditto on the challenges, limitations and assignments. The "photo-a-day" challenge is a good place to start. It gives you a reason to get out of bed... a reason to try harder. Don't accept excuses. I'm just about finished my year and am already making plans to extend well beyond Dec. 31. (Next year, I will broaden my mandate to either shoot, process or print every day.... I've already got enough negatives to keep me printing for several years)

Attend galleries and shows. Think of the most inspiring images you have seen online or in a magazine or book... seeing that same image its original state will absolutely blow you away.

Furthermore, meet with other film photographers... attend local APUG meets. If there aren't any, set some up. The Great Lakes Region is becoming so busy that people have to start picking and choosing which events to attend. Jeff and Eva Bannow's Detroit weekend that just wrapped up was very inspiring. I can't wait for the next opportunity to meet, shoot and share. If you thought you were alone, you are not. There are others out there who can either teach you or learn from you. In the end, everyone wins, so long as you don't give up.

Don't chase magic bullets. Make the best work you can with the equipment and materials you have.

Finally, (and this is in no way a criticism of APUG or any other forum) shoot more than you post. Avoid pissing matches regarding Exposure Indexes or the minutia of photo forumlae or the superiority of any lens, format, brand, etc. The energy spent participating in such games would be much better spent creating your next masterpiece.

hm... I didn't know I felt so strongly about this.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Toffle; 12-05-2010 at 05:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin