Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,496   Posts: 1,571,419   Online: 1097

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What should be done?

First: Secure our borders. It is the right of a free society to monitor, screen and profile in order to protect the population at large. This is not creating a problem for citizens of a country. As a resident of a border state, I continue to see a policy of appeasement with respect to illegals. The Tucson sector alone apprehends between 500,000 and 1,000,000 each year. Many of these people are from countries which are openly hostile to the U.S. The troops coming home from Germany, Korea, etc. should have a mission to secure the borders.

Second: Put some teeth in the law to place the burden on illegals. Anyone caught here without a proper visa should be finger printed, voice printed and identified so that they are never eligible for citizenship when they are deported.

Third: Once the borders are secured, start to deport those who are apprehended and not here legally.

Fourth: Implement profiling of those people who come from countries which have nests of terrorists. Put more resources into screening procedures to allow for a more intensive scrutiny of individuals who fit the "profile".

Fifth: None of this will work because the courts in the U.S. only allow for profiling to implement affirmative action.

Please flame away!

P.S. "I voted for the 87 billion dollars for Iraq before I voted against it." Kerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Recently I have been going around my home town reproducing photographs of a hundred years ago by shooting from as near as possible the same spot as those guys did all those years ago, a sort of 'Then and Now' project purely for my own pleasure.
    Everyone I've met whilst doing this has been curious and helpful. I have even been able to photograph on old Ministry of Defence land without hindrance.
    However on visiting our little railway station I was told 'Oi! You can't do that!' On enquiring why I was informed 'It's security! You could be a terrorist!'
    Now, I understand the world has changed since 9/11 and people have to be more careful etc.
    Surely if I was a terrorist I would have used some tiny digicam the size of a booger and got the photographs I required surrepticiously? I would not have turned up carrying a tripod, a camera, a camera bag, or asked permission to photograph on the platform!
    It was a non busy time of day on a sunday morning and I showed them examples of work already completed and also the photograph of the station I wished to reproduce. Yet I was still refused permission to photograph by the 'Person' on the gate.
    Feeling a touch miffed I emailed the rail company enquiring if it was now policy for them to confiscate tourists cameras, to refuse rail enthusiasts permission to photograph trains, to refuse trainspotters access to the platforms?
    I got a reply stating it was ok to photograph on any station so long as the passage of customers was not impeded and so long as I did not use a tripod.

It seems to me that 9/11 security has been a gift to all the little 'jobsworths' out there to hassle people and gain themselves a little authority.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

my spelling is smelling

Quote Originally Posted by dr bob
    I remember after 911 the Gov’rnent was highly criticized by left and right for NOT responding to “we-know-he's-really-a-terrorist-cuz-all-those-ay-rabs-wanna-kill-us” middle eastern stereotypes who trained as airline pilots and generally engaged in “being sneaky” in public. O. K. guys, instead of criticizing present policy, tell us what action SHOULD be taken in light of current events?
    We should take a long view of our Foreign policies.
    Stop supporting dictators because they are geographically or commercially beneficial.

We need to actual live up to not play lip service to what we claim is our greatness.

We need to realize that biggest, strongest, richest does not equal greatest. That there is a time to lead and a time to join or follow.

We have earned the hatred of many (this is not to say we deserve to be terrorized) and we need to be honest with ourselves and take a critical look at our part in this play.

We need in short to grow up and learn to play nice.

We should make the intellectual and financial investments necessary to minimize our dependance and the worlds' dependence on fossil fuels.

We didn't get into this mess overnight and won't exit overnight.

We need to begin to get ourselves out of it as well as declaw those who wish to do us harm. We need to get Osama, before we venture into any other diversions.

We can't kill everyone who hates us but we can cut off their funds.

By suspending the bill of rights for what ever reasons sends the wrong message (especialy to our enemies) and costs us far too much for far too little.
    Last edited by mrcallow; 08-26-2004 at 04:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    It started with a Photo slant. Might have been able to stay that way but the problem with politics is it never stays on track.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    We need to realize that biggest, strongest, richest does not equal greatest.
    I was made aware, by students of my own, that a girls hockey team from an exceedingly wealthy Connecticut public high school actually said (and fully believed) to girls on an opposing team from a much less affluent school district, "We're richer than you are, so we're better than you are." Wow....I wonder how much of that came from the dinner table at home.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another problem with the increased paranoia affecting the US is it is starting to kill off trade with the States. I have a couple of friends who would regularly visit the US on business. But since 9/11 the delays at Passport Control and the plain rudeness of US Customs officials has made both friends cut their business ties in the US. Both are now trading unhindered in Europe.

Both are of the opinion that US Citizens are not treated so abhorrently when they come to the UK so why are UK citizens treated so in the US?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andy, much of this behavior is the result of political correctness here in the U.S. Because "racial profiling" is a problem, all people are treated as if they were terrorists. The reasoning is that in this management of all being equal, no one can claim they were singled out and profiled. This is maddness. I can't say that I blame your friends for not wishing to trade in this environment.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Is racial profiling of photographers acceptable governmental behavior? Many Anglos would consider it a small price to pay for increased sense of security. Does such loss of freedom for a large percentage of our population actually hinder terrorists? Unfortunately, many appear to agree and willingly support such loss. Do we trust the current administration to not use the FBI terrorist list & Patriot Act to harrass/intimidate its politcal opponents? Do we also trust them to support democracy & abide by the peoples' viewpoint as voiced thru elections? Could the corner we are turning be in direction of a right-wing dictatorship?
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    We need to realize that biggest, strongest, richest does not equal greatest.
    Sadly, it seems that our country has become so obsessed with material possessions we that we have given up a lot of our feedom and safety because of it. There are numerious places here in Hawaii that I don't feel safe going to. Last year I was in Germany and I remember being able to walk anywhere without fear, it was so refreshing. My friend who lives on the South Island of New Zealand tells me that she still doesn't lock her doors and leaves the keys in her car when out shopping. Would it be that our country could be the same.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Both are of the opinion that US Citizens are not treated so abhorrently when they come to the UK so why are UK citizens treated so in the US?
    Yes, I have a close friend, who lives in New Zealand, but grew up in the UK. She returns to England every year on holiday, but refuses to travel through the US because of how she has been treated by customs. Last year I went to Germany and no one even looked at my passport when I landed in Frankfurt; we Americans seem to overreact to a lot of things.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin