Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,924   Posts: 1,585,008   Online: 1076

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    We need to realize that biggest, strongest, richest does not equal greatest. That there is a time to lead and a time to join or follow.
    We also need to stop refering to our president as the leader of the free world. This has just got to be seen as insulting to the rest of the world. Maybe if Bush didn't see himself this way he would respect the rest of the worlds opinions - that would surely help in the long run.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "...A state of war is not a blank check for the president..."
    Sandra Day O'Connor, US Supreme Court.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is racial profiling of photographers acceptable governmental behavior?
    Here in the Silicon Valley, that would mean the surveillance of abot 40% of the population (e.g., 60% of Milpitas was born outside the US, and most of them in Muslim countries or South Asia). Not that I don't think it's possible that just such a thing is happening.

"Profiling" is a bureaucratic euphemism for institutionalized racism. Don't think it's not so. Did anyone start profiling white males after the Oklahoma City bombing?

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Bjork wrote;
    Did anyone start profiling white males after the Oklahoma City bombing?

Actually they did. They started profiling white male yahoos that belonged to militias.

The whole business of profiling is interesting. Do we stop and check everyone including little old ladies, little kids, nuns and blonds from Norway. Or do we check out people of the middle eastern descent who happen to be Muslim, who as it turns out were the perpetrators of 9/11 and members of the group that has declared war on us.

Logic has it that we would do the latter. Whether it's right or wrong is another matter.

If I lived in China and a whole bunch of Anglos were creating terror there I would probably expect that being an Anglo I would be looked at often. It's common sense.

Doesn't make it right, just common sense.

MIchael McBlane
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I will check out the blonds from Norway!!! Pick me Pick me!
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Doesn't make it right, just common sense.
    Profiling based upon ethnicity from what I have read doesn't work statistically and has a long (as in throughout the ages) history of being an avenue for abuse.

Profiling based upon behavior along with physical characteristics is from my understanding far more effective.

It gets back to do we do what is right, because we are or want to be the 'good guy' or do we try any and everything regardless?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "The Americans will always do the right thing... After they've exhausted all the alternatives."
    - Winston Churchill

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IS IT TIME YET?

IS IT TIME YET?

IS IT TIME YET?

OR TO QUOTE CHERYL JACOBS, "OY"

TO MOVE THIS THREAD TO A POLITICAL DISCUSSION WEBSITE?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    Profiling based upon ethnicity from what I have read doesn't work statistically and has a long (as in throughout the ages) history of being an avenue for abuse.

Profiling based upon behavior along with physical characteristics is from my understanding far more effective.

It gets back to do we do what is right, because we are or want to be the 'good guy' or do we try any and everything regardless?
    Agreed. I don't want to see someone pulled out for extra searches because of their ethnicity or whatever. The way it is done now is way overboard; searching 80 year old grandmothers, handicapped, really doesn't make sense. There should be more common sense applied all across the board. It doesn't make sense that we (as a society) expect computer people, for example, to be highly educated and trained, but hire and minimally train people who protect our security.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    TO MOVE THIS THREAD TO A POLITICAL DISCUSSION WEBSITE?
    I don't see this as a political discussion at all, but, rather a discussion about an issue that affects all of us who travel.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin