Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,523,002   Online: 1207

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Death, Cremation and a Carbon Print...

I read somewhere that it was customary in a certain time and a certain place, to have a carbon print portrait made from the ashes of the deceased individual.

(if anyone has any resources, please share them)

I'm curious what people think about this. I personally think it's brilliant, and can think of no more noble or respectful way for my earthly body to rest. To spend eternity as a photograph is a beautiful thing to a photographer.

It certainly seems like a prickly issue, but what about you? Would you desire such a fate?

Although I'm young, I'm serious about having such a condition included in my will.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting. How many carbon prints could you make from one "urnfull"? Sounds like a good idea to me.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A good question; and imagine the pressure on behalf of the printer.

Fortunately, if a bad print was made, it could be redissolved and done over again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    I think there is something in the Christopher James book regarding this rather macabre process. Not actually a carbon-transfer print, but a variant of the "dusting-on" process using the ashes. A bit creepy perhaps, but I like the idea - colour would be even better
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder. Ashes that I have seen were all whiteish-basically particles and pieces of bone. Maybe in the past less thorough cremation resulted in dark ashes.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's an interesting point. Maybe print a negative over a dark background to achieve a positive. Hmm, how does one go about testing such a thing..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Give it a try, urn your strips.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would be dead. How could I protest?

I did do a photo piece with ashes once. A 16x20 print was cut up into one inch squares and mixed in with the ashes. Visitors to the gallery were invited to take a piece of the puzzle. It was one of three items on a shelf I had built. The first was a framed print. The second was a homemade lightbox with a backlit positive litho. The third was the bowl of ashes with the puzzle pieces.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    But you might eventually end up in a thrift store somewhere...

The photos of the dead were often put on the graves stones -- they were usually carbon prints that used an ash-less gelatin, that was then fired onto ceramic tile for a very permanent image.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 12-17-2010 at 08:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What's it like to be dead? It's like before I was born.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin