Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,754   Online: 1090

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was recently in Spain. I had a 4x5 Linhof and a mamiya 7II set up on tripods in a wide open field. Not exactly a subtle set up. Myself and my cameras were easily visible from quite a distance and yet people would walk directly in front of the cameras when they had literally a hundred yards advance notice to slightly alter their course to pass behind the cameras. Almost none did. In fact I even had people come right up to my set up, who could have passed on either side of the cameras without ANY disruption to their movement, and yet they nearly always passed in front. I even gently asked people to pass around the gear, to no avail. I just don't get people sometimes.

I ended up going to a long exposure just to make the people invisible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    But the question does remind me of a humorous anecdote: I was making long exposures of a Great Lakes freighter unloading aggregate one night. A dock worker walked up and then stopped so as not to get in my picture. I told him that as long as he kept moving he would not appear in my picture, which of course absolutely astounded him.
    I had a similar experience late one night whilst shooting a pub on River Street in Savannah, Ga. I was making a long exposure with an 8x10, and a well-lubricated young man stumbled up in front of the camera, looked into the the lens, and mumbled something like "Wha' tha fxxx is that thing?" Then he stumbled away. No trace of him on the film whatsoever!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    I usually just smile and wave 'em on. The people that want to talk can be annoying, but I consider that I am a freakshow hiding under a big cape like batman or something. If I am in a hurry, I speak to them in another language. That always works to dispatch them quickly. Swedish is my preferable language for this since no one speaks it, but I like Swedes so if someone spoke back I wouldn't mind missing the shot in order to meet a Swede. Never has happened though.
    Det beror på var du fotograferar!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been setting up my tripod, without even having a camera on it yet, and had people stop and wait for me. A kind gesture, indeed. Camera or not, I usually just say, "you're fine, go ahead," and wave them past. If they were in my way, I wouldn't expose the frame anyway. If I were doing street photography, I wouldn't be as obvious as if I were doing my typical 4x5 work.

If I see someone else taking a picture, from digicam snapshot of their kids on up, I'll walk behind the photographer if possible, otherwise I'll wait.
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have had cars stop when I am shooting the 8x10 across the road. I just wave them through with a smile. People do not realize that if I have the darkcloth over my head, I am not actually exposing!

Now cell phones. If someone is talking on them in public, most of the I do not tell my boys to be quiet, nor do I whisper, but continue on with our activities as if they were not there.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I was in the Inner Sanctum of the Sun Temple at Gujarat with a Contax 645 and a 35mm Distagon set up on a tripod as I had 100 ISO b+w loaded. I waited till people started to leave, but they didn't. They kept coming and stood in front of the camera. I can't speak any dialect of any language.

So I tried my best to get everybody to keep still, I wasn't 100% able with probably funny looking body gestures.

I also attached a photo of a tourist gal that was "posing" for my beater M645 also on a tripod (Metsada, Israel from the road from Arad). I had the old 100SW loaded, I couldn't get her brown face to work with the landscape. But it was fun to share a smile.

So in my experience of a lessor photographer, it is hard to place "volunteers" into photos, but it can be fun.

And that is why I love photography, it is fun.

I guess it really can be an opportunity to interact with people, sometimes in a special way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails india0102004.jpg   Image15.jpg  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin